1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Sony Fontopia ear-buds?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Matthew Attoe, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Looking to buy some new ear-buds and was hoping someone could tell me which Sony Fontopia ones they prefer.

I've found these two types:

here

and

here

Which would you think were the better ones (not worried about price) and what are the main advantages of each?

They will be hooked up to an iPod.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Check out some of the reviews and threads at headfi.org The sony's don't seem to get rave reviews. The 71s do get some credit for being inner ear phones (they go right into the ear) which means no noise spills out and they help block out ambient noise. The most popular earbuds seem to be the Senheisser MX500 which can be had for about £20.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the mx500 is the same as the mx400 but with a volume control and we've sold them for a couple of years for £10,
    The 71s retailed at £35 not £50 as shown but are still pretty good, the new model is a 31 i think try them, or save yourself a bundle and use the mx400

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The sort of ear-phones i'm looking for are the type that have the changeable ear-piece to alter the size, which is what attracted me to the sony's i mentioned. I really can't get on with the standard Apple ones as I find them pretty uncomfortable after 45mins-hour or so. Are the mx-400/500 the type with the alterable size?

Also, I've noticed that apple are now selling the sort of ear-phones i'm looking for for £29 here . Do you know who makes these as I'm sure Apple doesn't have it's very own earphone factory :)

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Matthew

5. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the EX-71's with a Sony minidisc and find them quite pleasant to use in noisy environments. They have good isolation and are a comfortable fit, not to mention a handy 3.5mm extension cord. I generally use the Senheissers MX500 mentioned above as they probably have a better sound ultimately, but the EX-71's are certainly worth adding to your headphone inventory.

6. timread

timread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got a pair of Sennheiser MX500's about 1.5 years ago, and at the time also considered the Fontopias. I got concerned over whether the Fontopia's would be comfortable for extended listening periods with those in-ear buds, so I went for the MX500s.

I've been totally happy with the MX500s, they have excellent sound and are very comfortable. The volume control on the lead is handy although it it seems to be more of a gain control - it doesn't completely turn off the sound, just increase or decrease it depending on how loud the source is. I'd definitely recommend them.

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I use Shure E2c excellent in the ear phones.. though a bit pricy

Matt

8. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi im using the ex71s with an ipod and i think they are a great step up from the original ipod earphones as well as being very good at insulating.

My dad also has the shure e2s and while they are a huge step up they are also £70!!.

Lastly you can get the sonys from amazon for £25 just to suggest they are probably more reputable than that great saves site

Hope that helps
    Frankie

9. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ex71's are the worst bit of audio kit I've ever bought.

The sound is bearable if not particularly refined, lots of bass, lots of treble. Midrange is hmmmm. What I don't like is the sybilance that it adds to some recordings, hard S sounds and some cymbal sounds have become unlistenable. You also get a really annoying "swish, swish, swish" sort of sound when you're walking down the road and for some reason wind noise seems amplified! - Why?

I've gone back to "proper" headphones, firstly going back to my Koss PortaPros and then onto some Sennheiser PX100's when the PortaPros died. The Sennheisers are excellent:devil: