Which Sony DVD?

lidders

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new DVD player. As the rest of my gear is sony I thought I would continue this theme.
I want something that will play recordable CD's as I use it for this as well.
Obviuosly I am not looking to spend a fortune. What does anyone suggest or what are your experiences with Sony.
Thanks

LIDDERS:confused:

I have a Sony DVP-NS700V for over a month now. I played a LOT of CD-R and they all work fine. So does all the pirated VCD and DVD that I throw into it. But I did heard older Sony being more choosy about disc and generally Pioneer are more tolerable. My guess is that newer Sony are an different animal altogether.

Originally posted by lidders
I am looking for a new DVD player. As the rest of my gear is sony I thought I would continue this theme.
I want something that will play recordable CD's as I use it for this as well.
Obviuosly I am not looking to spend a fortune. What does anyone suggest or what are your experiences with Sony.
Thanks

LIDDERS:confused:

I've been using a Sony 715 for two years now and I've been very happy with it. I literally just place the order for an NS700 to replace it so you could count me as a happy Sony customer.

Regarding recordable CDs, I gather the new Sonys are all CDR and CDRW compatible.

Older ones tender to be either CDR or RW, but not both. Or not at all...... My 715 player is CDR compatible but won't play CDRW discs for example. At the time, I demoed a 725 which would play CDRW but not CDR. These days compatibility with recordable CD is deemed a necessary feature for good sales so it's practically a given.

Things to look for in the current generation are DVD recordable compatibility, as these devices are set to replace the CD recorder. You can take it as read that DVD-R will play, but things are less clear with the DVD+RW and DVD-RW formats.

I _think_ the new Sonys will play +RW but I'm not 100% sure. +RW seems to be the format that Sony are backing, anyway, but things are really in a state of flux regarding recordables.

cheers,

Gav

Thanks for the advice think I am going to go with the ns700!
Cheers again

Lidders

The second from bottom Sony model, the NS400D will play CD-R/CD-RW discs, if you don't want to fork out for 700.

The 700 does claim to read DVD-R/DVD-RW discs as well though.

Originally posted by simon1
The second from bottom Sony model, the NS400D will play CD-R/CD-RW discs, if you don't want to fork out for 700.

The 700 does claim to read DVD-R/DVD-RW discs as well though.

Yes, the manual talks about supporting DVD-RW in 'VR mode' and 'video mode', whatever they are. I must try to find out more about DVD recording, but the plethora of 'standards' right now is just making things confusing.

It doesn't mention DVD+RW at all, which is a little weird considering Sony are making DVD+RW drives for computers.

I'm glad that manufacturers are finally supporting CDR and CDRW in DVD players. When I bought my previous 715 it was a minefield getting one that would read discs you recorded, and I ended up having to choose between CDR and CDRW compatibility.

Gav

Richer Sounds have multi region NS700's for £244.

Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

They state that they are both CDR & CDRW compatible!

Cheers again

If you can afford £400 your best option would be the Sony DVP-NS900V it's a superb model which supports playback of some dvd recordable formats, SACD, has decent cd playback and good dvd playback. It also allows playback of CDR's and CDRW's. It's a superb player, and if you split it down to what you would pay for it seperaely its a real bargin!

David

Originally posted by David_fram
If you can afford £400 your best option would be the Sony DVP-NS900V it's a superb model which supports playback of some dvd recordable formats, SACD, has decent cd playback and good dvd playback. It also allows playback of CDR's and CDRW's. It's a superb player, and if you split it down to what you would pay for it seperaely its a real bargin!

David

Just bear in mind that the NS900 has had definite problems with SCART switching and certain TVs (including Sonys own) which seem to be still unresolved. There is a thread elsewhere here from someone who went from NS700 to NS900 and wasn't at all pleased. Word is that the NS900 has disappeared from the Sony catalogue.

Gav

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom