Which Sony DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cmar-Ireland, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Cmar-Ireland

Cmar-Ireland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Folks,

This is my first post on here, so apologies if this question sounds daft.

I am looking for a new dvd player, and I think? I am down to two. The NS930 or the NS955, both from Sony. (I love the sony stuff)
    It will be used for movies mainly, but some cd's and mp3's. It will be connected to a VW10-HT projector and a DB940 amp with a Mission cinema 6 pack for sound. From reading the posts here, it seems both output PAL progressive. All of my current collection is R2, but will expand to R1 discs in the future.
    From what I've found, the price difference isn't huge, so am I better off getting the 955?
    Thanks

Ciaran

BTW, great forum here.... well done everyone :smashin:

2. Cmar-Ireland

Cmar-Ireland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Forgot to mention, is there any other sony players to consider?

Ta

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd recommend looking at Pioneer as well as they actually play every disc!

(ex Sony DVD owner)

4. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ciaran, welcome.

I have a 955 and am over the moon with it. Superb picture and sound quality. Far superior build quality to any other budget model in my opinion - then again it is that little bit more expensive. It just seems built to last. For £220 I think its unbeatable (unless obviously you go 2nd hand).

I think the 930 is the predecessor, and I believe this was well reviewed - I would imagine the two units are very similar.

5. Cmar-Ireland

Cmar-Ireland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply, Rockhopper. Yeah, I think I'll go with the 955. Although I reckon the 930 is a better looking unit!

6. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Sony DVP-NS955v for quite a few months now, and I find it a brilliant player with excellent video quality!

The thing is, this particular model Sony (and a lower model) absolutley refuses to play a particular SACD of mine beyond Track 6, 1.06 minutes. Both players simply die. At first I thought the SACD was at fault and ordered a 2nd copy. This dies in the same place on both these models (Track 6 1.06 minutes).

I went to a few different shops and tried 3x (demos, out the box) other 955v - they all died too at the point as well. I then tried Marantz, Yamaha, high-end Sonys and midi system system Sonys and they played it. Odd, eh?

Anyway - reluctantly selling my 955v and won't get a Sony again.

7. Cmar-Ireland

Cmar-Ireland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How much are you looking for the 955, and what condition is it in? 1st dibs if the price is right!!!

8. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stay in South Africa - after postage and packaging, it'd be cheaper to buy it in Ireland (or where ever you stay) ;)

For what it's worth, condition is as brand new - doubt you'd see much of a difference. RRP is South Africa is R2799 (245 quid) (as shown the Sony SA website) and I'd ask in the region of R1800 (160 quid).

9. spiver

spiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have a NS930 running through a Sony 42" Plasma. Its great, beautifully finished, easy to use and superb picture and sound. I had the NS900 before that - superb. Just why Sony change model (numbers) every few months is anyones guess. I think the 955 has DIVX playback whereas the 930 doesn`t, but I have just pulled that off a few websites so I can`t be 100% sure. You should be happy with either model I would think.