Which Sony Bravia between these three?

rvp20

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 65" TV which will be mainly used for Netflix, Prime and PS5 (gaming and UHD blu-rays). I like the look of the Sony Bravias and think I've narrowed it down to these three.

KD65XH9296BU

KD65XH9005BU

KD-65XH9505BU

What are the differences between the three for my usage? I've tried to find reviews for each but get confused because I'm not sure what the American models are called. I think I've seen the 9505 for around £1299, the 9296 for £1199 and the 9005 for £1099. Is the 9505 worth the extra cash?

I appreciate any help I can get and thanks in advance.

the KD65XH9296BU has a smaller stand better for gaming the KD-65XH9505BU better for movies TV and sports and HDR.

the KD65XH9296BU has a smaller stand better for gaming the KD-65XH9505BU better for movies TV and sports and HDR.

It would be mainly TV, sports and movies I'd be using it for. I think I'll stretch an extra £100 and get that then. Cheers.

really long read hear

really long read hear

Thanks, I'll have a read through that tomorrow.

XH90 and XH92 are identical from my understanding. They are smaller spec'd than XH95 in terms of the screen - lower end processor (less good upscaling) and lower peak brightness (HDR experience).

On the other hand XH90 and XH92 have full HDMI 2.1 - ALLM and VRR in addition to eARC but not sure how much difference they will make in real gaming experience as I dont think either the TV or PS5 has unlocked these two functions yet.

If more TV watching than gaming I'd incline to the XH95.

Even though HDR is a huge part of gaming? I'd say its more important to get a TV with HDR that will give you less issues. The 750nits of the XH90 will get you there in some titles, but be a problem in others.

Even though HDR is a huge part of gaming? I'd say its more important to get a TV with HDR that will give you less issues. The 750nits of the XH90 will get you there in some titles, but be a problem in others.

That's why I'd recommend XH95

XH90 and XH92 are identical from my understanding. They are smaller spec'd than XH95 in terms of the screen - lower end processor (less good upscaling) and lower peak brightness (HDR experience).

On the other hand XH90 and XH92 have full HDMI 2.1 - ALLM and VRR in addition to eARC but not sure how much difference they will make in real gaming experience as I dont think either the TV or PS5 has unlocked these two functions yet.

I had thought the XH95 had HDMI 2.1 from reading the specifications in the link above but didn't realise it could not play games at 4K 120hz. If it had it would have ticked all my boxes, but even so, there are no games that currently interest me that need HDMI 2.1 and I don't think there will be enough during the PS5 generation to justify it in the overall drop in quality in similar priced 65" TVs with full 2.1. I think I'll wait and see if the price drops any further in January before going for the XH95. Thanks all for the help.

I had thought the XH95 had HDMI 2.1 from reading the specifications in the link above but didn't realise it could not play games at 4K 120hz. If it had it would have ticked all my boxes, but even so, there are no games that currently interest me that need HDMI 2.1 and I don't think there will be enough during the PS5 generation to justify it in the overall drop in quality in similar priced 65" TVs with full 2.1. I think I'll wait and see if the price drops any further in January before going for the XH95. Thanks all for the help.

4K 120Hz games in my opinion arent going to be mainstream until at least a year later. As per
Dodgexander said, HDR capability would be the priority if limited budget. I have XG95 and still on original Xbox One and I can confidently say that the pictures are amazing and I dont feel that I'm playing 1080p game.

I give 4k@120 5 years to be mainstream. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but we were promised a solid 60FPS on ALL games when the PS4 launched. Today, majority only do 30 FPS.

HDMI 2.1 will itself take several years to establish. These standards always do.

But this is an AV forum where enthusiasts get the latest. Your mileage may vary.

I think great HDR, movie, TV performance with gaming at 4k@60 is spot on for 5 years for all but the super discerning.

4K 120Hz games in my opinion arent going to be mainstream until at least a year later. As per
Dodgexander said, HDR capability would be the priority if limited budget. I have XG95 and still on original Xbox One and I can confidently say that the pictures are amazing and I dont feel that I'm playing 1080p game.

That's good to hear. I would also have the option of playing 1080p 120fps on some games which my current TV isn't capable of.

I give 4k@120 5 years to be mainstream. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but we were promised a solid 60FPS on ALL games when the PS4 launched. Today, majority only do 30 FPS.

HDMI 2.1 will itself take several years to establish. These standards always do.

But this is an AV forum where enthusiasts get the latest. Your mileage may vary.

I think great HDR, movie, TV performance with gaming at 4k@60 is spot on for 5 years for all but the super discerning.

I think you're right. 4k 120fps might not be mainstream until PS6 comes along so HDMI 2.1 is definitely not a priority for me just yet. Although I do get a little FOMO thinking about not having it.

It's not just about pushing 120fps in games though though, more that games are able to run with VRR with a 48-120fps range. How many games will support it? I'm not sure, but the advent of VRR is more important. The problems associated with the technology are a bit off putting though. The Sony XH9005 has more blur when running at 120hz whilst all TVs have shifting gamma at different frame rates currently.

But that aside, what has been mentioned already is true, despite no HDMI 2.1 the Sony XH9505 is a better gaming TV than the XH9005 due to better HDR picture quality.

If you want the best of both worlds from an LCD TV you'd really want to look at the Q90T, maybe the Q80T which have a single HDMI 2.1 port.

It's not just about pushing 120fps in games though though, more that games are able to run with VRR with a 48-120fps range. How many games will support it? I'm not sure, but the advent of VRR is more important. The problems associated with the technology are a bit off putting though. The Sony XH9005 has more blur when running at 120hz whilst all TVs have shifting gamma at different frame rates currently.

But that aside, what has been mentioned already is true, despite no HDMI 2.1 the Sony XH9505 is a better gaming TV than the XH9005 due to better HDR picture quality.

If you want the best of both worlds from an LCD TV you'd really want to look at the Q90T, maybe the Q80T which have a single HDMI 2.1 port.

I looked into the Q80T but heard the game mode reduces picture quality a fair bit more than the XH95's game mode. I don't know how true that is but my current Samsung JS8500 certainly has that problem. If I found out that the Q90T's game mode picture was similar to the XH95 I might sway towards that if I could pick up one for £1500 max.

One other thing I noticed when comparing the two is the Sony has Dolby Vision whereas the Samsung has HDR10+. No idea how that would affect me but I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion, the Q90T looks very interesting.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom