• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Sony BD player for STR-DA1200ES?

F

Friar Tuck

Hi, Finally decided to take the plunge into Blu-Ray. Which player is most suitable for my existing system - the Sony BDP-S550 or the BDP-S350?

The price difference is not the issue - I can make the case for either - what I can't get is Capital Sanction for replacing the amp, screen or speakers... (you probably know where I'm coming from on this!)

I'd also like to keep the connections as simple as possible, but that is less of a concern.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ian :lease:

Screen: Sony KDL-40X2000, HD Source: Sky HD, Amp: Sony STR-DA1200ES, Speakers: Mission m70i cinema (5.1)

skk3

I have the BDP-S350 which has a fantastic picture for the money, but the 550 has analogue outputs if you need them. (Can your amp decode the latest codecs etc?)

G

gpl1968

Your amp can't strip the hd audio from HDMI so the S550 is your best bet(from Sony at least). The S550 can decode all the decode all the hd audio formats and send to your amp via multichannel analogues.
With the S350 the best you could get would be core DD and DTS via optical.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I'd also like to keep the connections as simple as possible, but that is less of a concern.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ian :lease:

Screen: Sony KDL-40X2000, HD Source: Sky HD, Amp: Sony STR-DA1200ES, Speakers: Mission m70i cinema (5.1)

Welcome to the forum. :smashin:
If your happy with DD/DTS then go for the 350 and use coaxial or optical.
All the best.

F

Friar Tuck

Thanks for the advice, guys - pretty much as I'd thought. I'm not convinced that I'd hear a significant difference from the HD sound, so will probably go for the S350 with DTS via coax and save the extra dosh.

Unless there is a significant picture difference... (substantial browsing of this forum's post hasn't revealed anything!)

Ian :confused:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice, guys - pretty much as I'd thought. I'm not convinced that I'd hear a significant difference from the HD sound, so will probably go for the S350 with DTS via coax and save the extra dosh.

Unless there is a significant picture difference... (substantial browsing of this forum's post hasn't revealed anything!)

Ian :confused:

S350 seems a good move. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom