which sony 930 or 730?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ted26, Sep 11, 2003.

1. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am about to buy myself a new dvd player with progressive scan and have decided to either get the sony 930 or 730.

All i want from this dvd player is the progressive output so which should i buy?

Is progressive scan output same from both machines?

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    narrowed my purchase down to either of these decks I can safely state that it is simply a case of whether you want SACD and a loop through scart socket.

Both machines have 'identical' interior parts, aside from the 930's ability to play SACD which is of course dependant on if your amp can do SACD.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the 930 but there is a £130.00 saving to be made and considering my deck sits behind smoked glass doors I am not too bothered on what it looks like.

The decision as always, is yours.

Hope this helps,

Cap:smashin:

3. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As i dont want SACD then it has to be the 730 for me :D

Thx for the help

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The price difference is less than £100 at most places. The 930 is part of Sony's QS range so that should mean that it has better build and better internals than the 730.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does it have the same 108mhz 12bit video D/A converter?

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    having looked at both machines this week I can state that both are QS line/brand.

All of the interior components are the same aside from the SACD option.

Secondly, I have seen a price difference of £130.00 online.

OK?

Thanks,

Cap:smashin:

7. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Anyone know if you can get the 730 in black?
    Azzo

8. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The internals do seem pretty similar if you look at avland.co.uk, I have the 930 and i thought things like the BNR and DVE would be removed from the 730 but they appear to be there. The only other thing is the 930 has internal DTS and DD decoders if your amp doesn't.

Initially I wondered what all the fuss was about with progressive scan, but after going back to some dvds i watched regularly on my previous player (pioneer 530) the difference on a Sanyo Z1 is amazing , colour, detail and no jaggies!

9. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 730 and one thing I find quite upsetting is layer change, I have watched a few films and in all of them the image freezes for about 1-2 s when it takes place.
    Does this happen with the 930 also? and with other 730s?

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    all sony's have similar layer change times, it's nothing to be concerned about.

11. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    if price is no object go for the 930, better quality and componentry fro the qs range of products.

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    as before, both machines have the same parts. Both are QS line/brand. However, the 730 lacks a decoder and the ability to do SACD. Also, the 730 has just one scart.

Hope this helps.

Captain Benefit.

13. Hammer

Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also thinking about buying a 930. I just called up Sony directly. They were very clear in confirming that the 930 is a QS range model and the 730 is NOT. They described the 730 as essentially a medium range player, while the 930 was higher end.

14. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    From all the pictures i have seen, the 730 certainly doesn't have a QS badge on it, whereas my 930 does.

15. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    But is the progressive output any different ?

I have jus recieved the 730 and can see no difference between it in progressive or interlaced :eek:

It has the same pic quality as my old 700v ! which is no bad point really :)

16. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Im am intrested in the sony 730 for use with my PT 100.

If the internals are the same in the 930 and 730, QS badge or not the players should display the same picture, infact the 730 may be better as it has less internal componentry (DTS,DD,SACD as previously discussed)

Ted26 There should be a noticable difference is your display device capable of progressive scan image display ??

I have heard that both the 930 and 730 have had excellent reviews for their picture quality. I have also read posts from form members saying that at the same price point a non progressive scan dvd player will have a better picture than a budget progressive scan player.

So with regards to the Sony 730, what has a better picture, a similarly priced no progressive player or the 730.

My bets on the 730 as I have grasped that it is the first budget progressive scan player that is actually superior to standard players.

Can anyone verify this with actual viewing experience and not hear say.

:smashin:

17. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have panny 5 which is recieving the progressive signal from the sony 730

And there is very little diff between progressive and interlaced output :)

18. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Mmm thats not so good I was thinking of buying one of these players, but I would have imagined there would have been a substantial difference. :confused: :)

19. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There is a difference on my screen, but it depends if a) you know what your looking for and b) if your screen's deinterlacer already has film mode (2:2/2:3 pull down) deinterlacing already.

20. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats the point ! should you have to look for it :) surely it should hit you in the face.

I am not slating the player as in either progressive or interlaced mode the picture is outstanding :D

Its just that i can see no major difference between the two.

21. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  22. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Got a Sony 730 today - I was curious what if any the differences are (with the 930) and whether there would be any improvements as the 730 is the newest model in Japan. I don't use SACD so I figured I might be able to make a few quid selling my 930.

Video performance on default settings is exactly the same as the 930. brightness, contrast, chroma (colour) upsampling and resolution upto 6.35mhz (detail) are the same. The same discs that trip up the deinterlacer on the 930 produce the same problems with the 730 set to progressive auto. There is one major advantage (well I think it is anyway) with the 730 is that it has a "progressive" button on the front which affects the component output, pressing it selects between interlace, progressive auto, progressive video and progressive film. When I put it on progressive film mode, it forces the player to use film mode deinterlacing and cures the problem with the discs that were tripping up the deinterlacer, so every DVD looks great. Bonus!

The remote is slightly different, it has less buttons than the 930 and has a jog wheel with a joypad in the middle for navigating menus rather than the seperate buttons on the 930's remote.

23. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nice work m8 :smashin: but can you explain what you mean by this :)

24. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Secrets of Home Theater

explains what the benifits of film mode progressive scan is, but as it's an american site it doesn't mention progreessive PAL. Progressive PAL film mode deinterlacing simply weaves the 2 fields together to produce full frames. It's otherwise known as 2:2 pull down.

25. Poloman

Poloman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cybersoga

Great. Your tests have confirmed that video performance is indeed as good as (or better) than the 930.

Would you be able to tell me if the 730 has a JPEG or photo file playback facility? It is not mentioned in the spec anywhere whereas the 930 does explicitly mention it!

I have always assumed that the 730 is in fact a 930 without SACD. Sony Centre were unable to confirm this to me. Actually they suggested the 730 was NOT QS range but the 930 was, thus providing superior quality. Again they were unable to confirm this as they had not done any real world tests! This was merely their deduction based on the absence of "QS" logos on the 730.

Lastly, would you care to comment on my plan to purchase a 730 as a replacement for my DVP-S7700? Although great in its time I am told that video processing has been greatly improved to an extent that even decent low end models can surpass it now. Particularly the latest progressive models without the chroma anomalies!

Many Thanks,
    Paul.

Panny 5 plasma, Denon AVR3803, Sony DVP-S7700, Sony digibox

26. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The 730 cant' play cdr's with jpgs burned on them, neither could my 930. It can play MP3s and VCD/SVCD.

I think QS logo has more relivance to anologue audio quality than picture quality, and it's just a logo not a standard. Anologue audio performance isn't important if your using digital connection, that's probably why they didn't give it a QS logo.

I've never played with the DVP-S7700 but i'd imagine you would benifit from progressive scan film mode and the excellent chroma upsampling of the 730 and 930. You may miss other things about your player but picture quality should be improved.

If you do care about anologue sound quality you might be better off looking at the 930 or 999ES (not sure how the 999ES PQ compares), or perhaps the Denon 2900 (has it's own problems) or other PAL Progressive players coming onto the market, but if like myself you have your player connected via digital then this is way less of an issue.

27. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    How much difference will I notive going from a Toshiba 220 to a Sony 730 with my new Panny PD30. I dont want to change players if the difference is minimal.
    Thanks

28. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I can't believe people with Plasma screens question whether to spend the extra/make the effort to get a progressive scan dvd player! You spent all that money on a screen, do it some justice!

P.S. The Panasonic PD30 isn't compatible with PAL Progressive scan.

29. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Er - yes it is. I have one, using a Sony 730 in progressive mode on Region 2 pal disks, and it is superb.

30. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I thought I read somewhere that it has a grey band down the side of the picture with Pal Progressive (from Denon 2900) as it wasn't supported by the screen, but it might have been a different model. Glad your happy with yours :)