Which software to use to finish off? (Im a newbie regarding PC editing)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nunew33, Jul 28, 2004.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Last night I downloaded time ltd versions of TMPGenc DVD author and Womble. Made a DVDRAM of a couple of titles with chapters and set to work!

First thing i noticed is that TMPGenc is the rolls royce of what the tosh does. ie
    you can see where your i frames are for chapters
    you can be more creative with menus

But it didnt have any edit features such as joining titles with transitions or adding animated titles.

This is why I downloaded womble which does this well, but was surprised to see it reencode a whole segment when a transition or titles may only apply to 5% of its running time (if this is user error let me know).

I am tempted to part with cash for these products as some of my home movies for family would benefit from hollywood treatment and fancier menus. Do I need both or is there a tool that does both?

Am I missing something in each of them that makes the other redundant?

All I want is not to spend hours at my PC which is why I bought the tosh as previous poc attempts were several hours for poor video capture. Are there any other products I should consider?

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a number of Video editing/DVD maker software packages but I generally use the Womble MPEG2VCR and TMPGenc DVD author as it is cheap, fast and reliable. I am not adding transitions and/or titles so can't really comment on the re-encoding aspect although I will have a play. I would point out however that a number of video editors will not handle MPEG2 (they are mainly for Mini-DV camcorders or proprietory DV file formats). Of those that do, most seem to want to re-encode everything. The Canopus Edius is probably one of the best editing packages that will handle MPEG2 but it can't do DolbyAC3 and re-encodes all the source material when you "export" to a file. Whilst I use Edius for editing my DV material, I use the Womble/TMPGenc combo for making DVDs from TV programmes recorded as MPEG2 on the PC.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tabatha what do you use womble for if you dont use the trick edit stuff? (I know im missing the obvious here)

If you start with mpeg then doesnt TMPGenc cover all your needs (ie chapter creation, menu editing etc).

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean the "MPEG Video Wizard" from Womble that does the tricky stuff. Whilst I have also bought this, I generally use the "MPEG-VCR" from Womble which allows me to quickly cut sections (ads breaks) out of a program and then quickly re-write the new file without re-rendering. I then use TMPGenc DVD to write the actual DVD and create title/chapters if I need to. I realise that I can edit in TMPGenc but I justr prefer the Womble MPEG-VCR as it has the fast forward/back at various speeds. I think I had it before TMPGenc so it may just be force of hablt and the old dog has not bothered to learn the new tricks!

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I do the same thing.

Womble is better ad taking out video as it shows all the frames. TMPGEnc does not and as a result can leave some frames behind.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I use ULead Video Studio 8.0 or Media Studio Pro 7 for editing and ULead DVD Workshop 2.0 for authoring.

TMPGDVDA is ok but a bit too simplistic and does too much 'hand holding'.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Which is surely a good thing for most of the users here? Most of the users here are new to video editting and, when I wrote the Guide, I didn't want them to be put off by an overly complex system. As it is I have a fair few PMs saying that the Guide is a bit 'hard going' (which I'm in the process of improving BTW).

The Ulead line of products are excellent - but is support for Commentary/multiple audio tracks and subtitles that important if you just converting TV programmes from DVD-RAM to DVD-R? Of course it depends on what you want to achieve...I suppose it could be more use to camcorder users.

And I do agree that TMPG Enc Author doesn't give you totally free design choice of the menus - but you can be quite flexible (especially now they have added the menu edit option).

All in all I think TMPG Enc Author offers a quick (and cheap) solution which is ideal for those new to video editting.

8. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,
    I use nero6 and tmpgdvda and find them both similar feature wise for what I want to do, I followed rascazak's guide and found it extremely user friendly and easy to follow.
    I'm very pleased with the results from both.
    By the way I've joined titles and created animated thumbnails and backgrounds with both packages...it's a straight forward couple of menu picks to get the animation if we're on about the same thing?
    Cheers, Andrew

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now that Ive had a play. I really like Womble mpegVCR. Its quick and easy for trimming.

And I like both TempGenc DVD Author and Nero (used Nero last night making a DVD trailer for movies my film society is showing this year from '.avi's, nice easy wizard).

So TV programme to DVD authoring bases are covered. I will part with some money for the womble package and TmpGenc DVD .

But what I am struggling with is the Womblle MPeg editor 2003. I would like to tart up camcorder footage to have titles and transitions. I thought this package woiuld do this without lengthy rerendering and it seems to rerender. Is the advantage purely that you can preview in realtime but its still a lengthy process in exporting to DVD?

10. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi, this Ulead Workshop 2.0 seems to be a very interesting programm, had a look on the Ulead website, would set me back about $500 so i would like to have some more info on it, hope somebody (Kevo) can help.

- does UW2.0 have separate editable tracks for picture and sound, meaning you can replace a bit of sound you dont like but the picture stays the same?

- does it support every VR format ?

- can you do real frame by frame editing with proper in and out markings and preview option?

- could you cut your own trailer by composing bits of a film, use some effects and a different music/voice source, without loosing or dropping frames?

-finally what kind of files are supported to create menus?

thx in advance,

11. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried the ulead Movie Factory software? At £29.99 from PC World it works out cheaper than TMPGenc. The blurb for it emphasises for use with RAM discs and DVD recorders. Any downsides at the price?

12. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just spent a couple of days making some trailer DVDs for my film society from quicktime movies. Used TmPGenc for batch mpeg encoding and TMPGenc DVD author and I have to say the results were fantastic. The Tosh is convenient and ok for archiving and own use DVDs but for polished off DVD menus TMPGenc stuff is the business.

Tried Nero Vision Express but the menus were inaccurate, highlight missed the buttons by miles.

TMPGenc DVD Author was spot on first time. No problems with stuff like aspect ratio switching. Resolution of images was superb.

Once the movies were mpeg encoded, menu creation and burning took minutes. Much easier to title things on a keyboard (toshiba take note)