Which Software to Convert AVCHD to MP4

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by emptage, Jul 4, 2015.

1. emptage

emptage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some holiday video clips which were recorded in AVCHD. Which is the best free software to convert these in to MP4. Thanks

2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    You could try Format Factory

3. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Although described as 'mkv to mp4' conversion, THIS free program can convert .mts or .m2ts AVCHD files directly to .mp4.

The video is not converted, so no loss of quality.
    AVCHD audio normally uses the AC3 format and mp4 audio is normally AAC, so that program will convert the audio to AAC, to provide a more compatible mp4 file.

Note that some of the free video converter programs will convert the video as well, and this will lead to some (or even a lot!:)) of quality loss....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  4. Nepheler

Nepheler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If convert AVCHD to MP4 format, there would definitely be some quality loss. (format & codec changed). Quality loss can be reduced by proper video quality (bitrate) settings.
    Audio codec should not be the problem as most converter, no matter paid ones or freeware, should be able to let you free choose target audio codec (AC3 or AAC).
    My suggestion is, if you are going with freeware, Handbrake is most recommended; if want to keep a paid app with good support service, this HD Video Converter app is so far the best I've used.

5. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Not if you use the program I suggested in post#3 above. That only changes the container. So as long as the original video uses H.264 coding (which AVCHD does), there is no video conversion - and thus no loss of quality.
    The audio does need to be converted - to AAC - to offer the best mp4 compatibility. This is especially true if the files are to be replayed using an external media player, or the SD or USB inputs on a TV or PVR. The program I linked to will do this automatically, when using the default settings.

You can convert with Handbrake (or any one of several other video converters) but you will then lose some quality in the conversion, as you suggest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. Chris Longley

Chris Longley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As rogs says, you just need to re-wrap the video stream (like moving a Word file from a rar to a zip you'd not need to convert the actual document)

Use the kind of program he suggests, anything else will recompress and reencode the video wasting time and losing quality

7. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Powerdirector 13 will happily use avchd and MP4 Files[including 4K]on the same timeline and allow you to render to what format and quality needed,there is no quality loss whether using 1920x1080P files or mixing 4K files.

8. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    The OP did ask for freeware options in his first post. I don't think Power Director 13 is freeware? - at least not yet..........
    It's amazing what can be downloaded as legal freeware these days ( Da Vinci Resolve or Lightworks for example)

9. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Yes i know,so i will rerphrase and tell the op imo pay a relatively modest amount for good software.

10. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Can't see the point in paying for software when the free program I recommended changes the wrapper to mp4 without converting the video. So no quality loss at all.

He may want to edit as well of course. But that's a whole different conversation....

Having said all of that, the OP hasn't returned since he posted originally, so he's probably found another solution anyway! :)

11. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Yes i just think having editing software if you use cameras is the next priority to the camera.Anyway there is enough bad fealing on this site now so lets hope the op is happy whatever.

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,950
    Why is there any bad feeling?