1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which software ? Is it possible ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by joseph, Oct 26, 2003.

1. joseph

joseph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I bought a camera on Saturday a Canon Ixus 2 and i am pleased with it.
    I want some photo editing software to use with it ?
    You do get some with the Canon but have not installed it yet still playing with camera, so i,m not sure whats it like ?
    What i would like to do is ,I make unusual beds (fake leopard skin covered beds etc ,and want to start a website so need images for the site.
    I would like to take pictures of the beds and put them in more exotic locations (jungle etc) also is it posible to change the colour of the actual beds ,so if i make a leopard skin one Is it possible to change it to a zebra skin bed by using only the computer so saving me lots of time By only making a few different beds and having pictures showing the beds covered in 40 different furs and fabrics ? Don,t no if that made sense ? many thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If you just wanted to change a plain colour for another colour/pattern then this would be fairly simple with 'Chroma Key' effect. This is the effect they use on the news etc when the news reader has a picture above their shoulder that relates to the news story. You tell the software (Adobe Photoshop does this) to ignore a set colour/shade and then tell it to replace it with another picture etc.
    I would not think this could be done with stripes/spots etc as there are several colours involved. Also on a 3D article you will have shadow etc changing the colour. The shape would also cause problems as you have to change the direction of a stripe etc as it folds around an edge. I would think you would need a plain origional and then you might be able to superimpose the pattern onto it.
    As you might expect the software that has this feature will not be cheap. I think Photoshop costs around £6-700

I might be wrong, but that is the way I see it.

Mark.

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Placing the bed in an exotic location is a fairly simple job, providing you have good source imagery. Altering the covering is a bit more involved but perfectly possible with Photoshop. It would be quite tricky to get it to a convincing finish - and i'm guessing it'd need to be spot on othewise it isnt going to convince people to buy your product. With any process like that in PS theres usually some trial and error and a fair bit of getting to know what can and cant be done with the software before you get a satisfactory result.

And like Mark says - its not a cheap bit of software.

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Its a simple cut and paste issue

You have a copy of the background, a copy of the bed, and a copy of the covering.

You then place one on top of the other, and you fill the copy of the covering with your chosen effect (taken with digital camera or scanned in as a bitmap file).

Adobe Photoshop Elements, MGi Photosuite, or Paintshop pro are some cheap photo editing programs. These are all cheap - free or less than £50

You will also be able to acheive your effects in MS Word or similar by placing images and using the send to back, bring to front commands.

Although the process is relatively easy, you may have to adjust some lighting or shading of the three images, so that the effect does not look amatuerish.

woody

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    all that will achieve is a flat fill - there's the little matter of perspective to take into account.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    woody, I have to agree with tomson. The programmes you have suggested will not be up to what is required. If it was just replaceing the backjground then you might get close, but even then Word, PSE etc do not AFAIK have the 'Chroma Key' feature to remove the origional background for the photo of the bed. Adding different covers to the bed would be very difficault if not impossible to get looking convincing. At the end of the day it needs to look good to sell the product.

Mark.

7. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes that may be a problem.

But I know Photoshop has the distort function, whereby you could possibly distort the selection. Plus a little smudging to give the effect of uneveness.

Alternatively you could divide the covering image into say, three parts/selections and alter the angle of the pasted brush, so that the material looks like it travels in the correct direction.

Also judicious placing of the image to avoid perspective and shadow problems may help.

If a 3d effect is not acheivable, then I would suggest altering the concept to a flat 2d image which may be less hassle to produce, but will still acheive the same efffect.

I think what he is after is similar to that seen on many car manufacturers sites, where you can change the colour/wheels etc. That looks a bit expensive though, but may be worth investigating

woody

8. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Yeah that'd probably be the way i'd tackle it - take each plane separately and through a combination of perspective transforms and distorting get summut convincing, then use the clone tool to fill in the gaps. Finally a bit of airbrushing for shadows and lighting and bobs your uncle.;)

Its actually pretty easy to achive once you have the appropriate imagery. Did a similar sort of thing on a pitch for a well know paint manufacturer recently - simple Flash based stuff.