Which software for NAS/Media server

sterankin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to use FreeNAS so I can store data and stream to my PS3. But all this plugin stuff is confusing and I can't get miniDLNA to work.

Any alternatives? It will be installed on a laptop and once installed I want to be able to close the lid and leave it hidden somewhere untouched.

Should be able to:
1. store files and access them from Windows PC on the network

2. stream video/pictures/audio to PS3/other devices

3 run something like SABnzbd, so I could drop a NZB file into a watched folder and it would automatically download.

4. Possibly be accessed from outside my network but not fussed on this.

Any ideas?

Was looking at runnng Ubuntu and Serviio - anyone any experience of this? Worried about power consumption though. Any other ideas?

why would ubuntu/serviio make you worried about power consumption?

Not sure - running Ubuntu as a full O/S with a GUI - thought it might need more power than something like FreeNAS which boots to a command line interface with no graphics.

Can you run ubuntu and close the laptop lid and it won't go to sleep? I'm new to all this so really just learning as I go along.

Not sure - running Ubuntu as a full O/S with a GUI - thought it might need more power than something like FreeNAS which boots to a command line interface with no graphics.

Can you run ubuntu and close the laptop lid and it won't go to sleep? I'm new to all this so really just learning as I go along.

I've not used freenas but ubuntu uses the same power whether you boot into command line or gui. It goes down if the screen is off, obviously.
There are lots of power options in linux. Closing the screen does not necessarily have to sleep the computer.
You may even find that ubuntu uses less as may have better drivers which can affect power consumption

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom