Quantcast

which smartwatch to buy

whisper12

Novice Member
Hi to you all! :) I need your help with choosing the right smartwatch. I own a Iphone XS and want to buy a smartwatch and use it for sport activities, listening to music while running and it need to be good looking (casual). I can't decide between Apple Watch 4, Samsung Watch active 2, samsung galaxy watch and huawei watch gt 2. Huawei is the nicest watch and it has good battery, while other have better features. Which one to choose? Please help me :clap:

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
What are benefits of apple watch? Just replying to messages or something more?
The Apple Watch is a very nice watch to use day to day although the battery is pretty poor. I have a series 2 and the wife a series 3 and we both do a fair bit of running with Nike Run Club app.
We've both found it increasingly less reliable and along with the battery life both planning on getting Garmins instead as they seem to be the preferred choice for runners and cyclists etc... and have limited notifications with the iPhone but at least some.

I expect the series 4 is better than our, hopefully on battery life and I will miss some of the integrations you get (shopping list with OurGroceries is very useful!) but as a fitness companion I don't think they can compete with the others.

Depends on you priorities really.

blu disc

I also have an I phone XS max and I now have a Apple Watch series 5, its not cheap to buy so I added it on my network with a cellular plan and it works so well with the I phone as you would expect. I use it for fitness, notifications, calendar, maps and music its perfect for me.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Just to update - both the wife and I bought Garmin watches to replace our Apple watches and such an improvement on most fronts.
I have the Vivoactive 3 music which has touchscreen and wife has the forerunner 245 music. Battery life is amazing, 5 days including full fitness tracking and around 2 runs or so. Sync with the Garmin app great on my iPhone and also syncs runs to NRC which I was using. Music works better than the Apple watch and obviously the general tracking, GPS quality and fitness is much better. You do still get all your notifications on the Garmin but it's basically just read them and can't reply to anything but text messages from what I can see.

The only real downside is the screen. The Apple watch has a stunning screen but that probably contributes to the poor battery life. The Garmin screen is like my old Motorola Razr flip phone from years ago. Not great resolution and doesn't look great but it does the job.

So personally I'd say if you want something more for fitness tracking that something like a Garmin is a much better option but if you want the fashion side and nice screen and slightly better iPhone related features then nothing can beat the Apple Watch, hands down the best in those areas.

Arongo

Novice Member
I use the Fitbit Charge 3, good for tracking sleep. Really good UI on the app, I know how im doing and can see my overall sleep score.

danwel

I have an apple series 2 watch that i use for running which i use Strava to track. i like it and it works and i can put enough music on there so i am happy.

i also own a Tag connected modular 45 which is a fantastic looking watch and is miles ahead of the apple watch BUT it doesn't do a lot of what the apple watch does such as music on the run which is important to me as i don't want a phone on me all the time.

It is a compromise as to what you want the most, do you want better features or do you want a better looking watch ?

I love my Tag i really do but always take it off for running and put the apple watch on.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Hi to you all! :) I need your help with choosing the right smartwatch. I own a Iphone XS and want to buy a smartwatch and use it for sport activities, listening to music while running and it need to be good looking (casual). I can't decide between Apple Watch 4, Samsung Watch active 2, samsung galaxy watch and huawei watch gt 2. Huawei is the nicest watch and it has good battery, while other have better features. Which one to choose? Please help me :clap:
I've had an Apple Watch 2 since it was released. The battery is still very good, generally gives me 2 days usage out of it.

I do have a Huawei one as well, and yes the battery is good 20 days plus, but that is because it basically doesn't do anything 🤣 and doesn't integrate with your phone at all besides push notifications.

The Apple Watch is fantastic, constant heart monitoring, GPS enabled, auto-tracking when walking/sports activities, is great with swimming and automatically recognising that as well, awesome with music, taking phone calls, and when using public transport with the express transport feature all you do is just hold your wrist to the reader.

It is an absolutely superb all-rounder, and very comfortable to wear as well.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
I've had an Apple Watch 2 since it was released. The battery is still very good, generally gives me 2 days usage out of it.

I do have a Huawei one as well, and yes the battery is good 20 days plus, but that is because it basically doesn't do anything 🤣 and doesn't integrate with your phone at all besides push notifications.

The Apple Watch is fantastic, constant heart monitoring, GPS enabled, auto-tracking when walking/sports activities, is great with swimming and automatically recognising that as well, awesome with music, taking phone calls, and when using public transport with the express transport feature all you do is just hold your wrist to the reader.

It is an absolutely superb all-rounder, and very comfortable to wear as well.
2 day battery with using GPS during that time? That's pretty good. Mine used to be maybe 2 days but then got to the point where I had to charge it every night and I wasn't tracking heart rate or anything like that, just the odd run.

Anyway my Garmin has been outstanding - 5 days battery with a few runs, even longer without and really happy with the look and features. Nice to be able to see the screen in sunlight as well :)

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
2 day battery with using GPS during that time?
Yup, I do not manually manage it. I let the watch decide what needs to happen. I'm impressed with the battery on mine considering how old it is and the functionality it provides.

Although checking in onto an airplane is still tough as the readers aren't big enough for my wrist to slot underneath 🤣🤣

Top Bottom