Which Smart Light Switch?

johnjo569

I am looking to change my standard kitchen off/on light switch to a smart dimmer switch after just upgrading my old halogen downlights to intergrated dimmable CCT LED downlights. Ps. I don't intend to upgrade the light switches in the rest of the house just this one switch.

Its a one way switch situated at the opposite end of the house to where we sit and I would like the ability to dim or switch off the lights from an app if possible. My switch wiring is 3 core and earth so I have a neutral connection as well as I know this can effect what type of switch you can buy.

I just don't know where to start with this as I don't recognise any of the brands out there and each website suggests something different!

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
A shelly dimmer 2 module behind a standard light switch of your choice ( if backbox is deep enough) , this way you can ensure that the light switch doesnt have a different aesthetic to the other switches in the room.

johnjo569

A shelly dimmer 2 module behind a standard light switch of your choice ( if backbox is deep enough) , this way you can ensure that the light switch doesnt have a different aesthetic to the other switches in the room.

Thanks Seb, I forgot to mention i want to keep it in sync with the rest of the light switches ie White.

johnjo569

Thanks for your help Seb I really appreciate it. Just been looking at their website, they have quite a few really good options on there.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
I use Shelly both in my house and professionally install them as well

Extensive range of products for just about any install . Just starting using their TRVs for heating and very impressed

johnjo569

Quick question: Just noticed the motion sensor. I am thinking this may actually suit my purpose better than the dimmer. The light switch for the kitchen is in the hallway and we have a TV seating area that is at the bottom of the kitchen round the corner (kind of a conservatroy/snug affair) so we tend to finish in the kitchen of an evening then go in there and forget the lights are on in the kitchen wasting money, so I was thinking, could I just use a 1L with a motion sensor?

I know I wont be able to dim the lights but the motion sensor should switch the lights off when no movement is sensed. Also can the motion sensor just sit anywhere as its wireless?

I like the dimmer but unsure if it would be compatible with the motion sensor.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Dimmer totally compatible with the motion sensor

I use mine to set dimming based on the time of day so if motion detected at dusk it comes on at a different brightness to motion at dark .

And turn off if no motion detected for 2 minutes

Yes sensor can be mounted anywhere

Last edited:

PaulW0

I recently discovered Samotech SM323 zigbee dimmer modules that you can replace the standard dimmer switches and keep the original faceplates. They talk to Philips Hue hubs if you have one and don’t need a neutral. I’ve installed two in my kitchen diner and give me the best of both worlds; dimming from the switch and dimming / automation from hue Alexa etc. the dimmers are cheapest direct from samotech and are just under 32 quid each inc vat.

You can combine these with motion sensors, Philips hue or not and you’ve got your solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom