Which Smart Light Switch Can Replace This?

Jetheat

Standard Member
Currently, I have a 3-Gang Dimmer Light Switch and the left-most switch is a 2-way switch.

I want to replace this with a Smart Switch which works on Z-Wave.
I want to control the new switch from Apple's Homekit ideally, and by voice control and remotely.

You'll notice that it's a wideplate switch and I don't think there are many of these around anymore.

Any suggestions or workarounds based on the criteria?

JH
IMG_3423.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 33
D

Deleted member 24354

Well, looking at your wiring I am guessing that your dimmers are wired with a switched line. Which means if you are using Fibaro modules you will need 3 x Dimmer 2 (FGD212). I am not sure that your back box is big or deep enough to hold 3 modules. But this is for Zwave. There is no ZWave and Homekit devices. Homekit uses Wifi and BLE and ZWave uses ZWave, You have to opt into one or the other OR use a Homekit to ZWave bridge. Then the devices aren't guaranteed to work with Homekit.

Apple have built a walled garden and don't want non-apple approved devices in it. Homekit approval takes something like 3 times as long as other certifications, hence the low numbers of approved devices.

Jetheat

Standard Member
Ok, If I understand you correctly, modules are used to convert ordinary light switches into smart light switches.

I want to use zWave light switches in conjunction with Fibaro Home Centre 3. I believe that can take Homekit commands and convert them through to the light switch.

Is there a solution in that case?

JH

D

Deleted member 24354

Ahhh that is different. You are using HC as a gateway to Homekit. Yes the modules turn normal light switches into smart lights and give you the beauty of both worlds.

Jetheat

Standard Member
But if I don't have any space in the backboxes, I guess I cant use them.
Is there a zwave wideplate smart switch I can use, with dimmer?

JH

JulianDS

MCO do a nice switch, but it isn’t a dimmer:
they do dimmer as well, but not in 3-gang.

even with something like the MCO you’d probably need a deeper back box, its not that hard to fit a deeper back box and you would then be able to use modules as mushi suggests (with appropriate choice of switch)

Jetheat

Standard Member
Problem is, I need to change 5 light switches and that would mean digging out all my walls. So I'd rather look for a replacement light switch.

As you say, its hard to find a 3-Gang, 2-Way, Wideplate Light Switch that Dims and works on zWave.

It's a tall ask.

JH

D

Deleted member 24354

Pretty much any smart light switch is going to need a deeper backbox to accommodate the additional electronics. You are going to need a 45mm or deeper.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom