Question Which (smart) heating control thermostat(s) & controls?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by arachnoid, May 21, 2017.

1. arachnoid

arachnoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are the popular smart thermostats (e.g. Nest) really needed if you are building a smart home based on a system such as Domoticz or OpenHAB? If overall control logic is with the HA system, how can the smart thermostats such as Nest learn? What do you think? Which heating control products would you use and why?

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    The dedicated heating control systems have very good self-tuning control loops to optimise efficiency while maintaining comfort levels, often maintains temperature to within half a degree of setpoint. It's the continuous measuring of rates of change and adaption of switching to modulate heat sources that achieves this. Basic thermostatic control may give plus/minus 2-3 degrees if overshoot/undershoot around setpoint, reducing comfort and wasting energy. Interfacing your HA system to a smart heating control system gives you the best of both, and offers redundancy of a functioning stand-alone system if the HA system goes down for any reason.

3. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,860
    it depends on how complicated you want to make it. I'm keeping my Thermostat to do its job primarily. I use the presence detection of my primary home automation controller to override by exception; i.e. if we are out to auto lower that kind of thing.

I use each system for what it does best and simply integrate them.