• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

which smaller sub to partner the svs sbs-01 5.0 system

W

wazzzzzzupp

I recently decided to purchase the svs sbs-01 5.0 system after reading lots of glowing reviews on various sites.

However, I think I can get away with the size of the speakers but there is no way the pb-10 sub will fit into my 3.5mx3.5m room

Has anyone got any ideas on smaller subs which will work well with the SVS, and which cost no more than $500.

Thanks

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Do you mean $ or £

If £ then the obvious choice will be the SB12+ in black...

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
I notice you say $. Is that because you're in America?

The selection availble in the colonies is very different to that here in the motherland so we may not be of much help.:(

FWIW, before you said $400, I was about to suggest the SVS SB-12/plus which damn near rivals the PB10, except for the bottom 5Hz.

Russell

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
I knew you were going to type that....

Perhaps it's a sign of age, or excessive bass?

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Actually, scratch that.

The SVS SBS-01 5.0 pack is available with the SB12/plus for well under the £1000 budget you stipulated in the speaker forum yesterday.;)

You need to ring up AV Sales you do.:)

Russell

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
I did wander if the 5.0 package had been bought without the sub!!!

Russ, i'll take the latter option.... :D

W

wazzzzzzupp

How does the sb12 plus compare to subs like the Rel Quake, MJ acoustics Ref 100 and the velodyne CHT-8R?

Morb

By all accounts the small svs sb12+ is very good, only missing out on the really low bass regions but that would be expected with a box of its size.

As Russ has said if you getting the speakers it would be worth while getting the whole package with the sb12+.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
How does the sb12 plus compare to subs like the Rel Quake, MJ acoustics Ref 100 and the velodyne CHT-8R?
They don't compare, certainly not in the case of the Quake (too small) and the Ref 100 (underpowered).

I don't know the Velodyne, but even with a ported box I'd bet against anything with an 8" driver delivering clean bass. It's bigger 10" brother can't quite match the SVS's extension, so the 8" won't fare any better, but the 10" is an SPL monster and offers surprisingly low distortion for a small(ish) box.

On the flip side, the CHT-10R is a fair bit bigger than any of the contenders mentioned so far (hence the output and distortion performance) and it lacks the tricky, but effective room compensation controls of the SVS. Learn to work these and it's performance really is quite exceptional for it's size.

Thing is, the package price of the SBS-01 plus SB-12 is pretty hard to beat. Very hard when you start considering individual components that don't attract package discounts.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom