Which small fronts?

Stereo Steve

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have recently moved into a barn conversion and am finding positioning my Ruark Prelude floorstanders difficult. I love these speakers and the front porting is also useful. We have some shelves that are built into the end wall of the barn, either side of the chimney and it would be ideal to put some standmounts or slightly bigger on them. I'm just not sure if I can find any that will replace the Preludes. I used to use Ruark Epiloges as fronts and while they sounded very nice, don't really have the big, warm sound of the Preludes.

I'm looking at a budget of around £800-£1000 and need a nice, old wood finish like oak or similar so they blend in. I'm thinking something like PMC's or similar. I love my music so they have to be good.

What worries me is the positioning, in a shelf, close to the back wall. Any ideas of speakers I could demo in this price range that would perform well in such a location?

Hi Steve,

Have you looked at any Proac Speakers i have the Response D15's but what about there smaller counterparts the "Response 1SC's" Beautiful wood finishes and sound to go with it, they are very musical speakers!

www.proac-loudspeakers.com/1sc.php

Worth a listen and i think they are in your price range

John

Not familiar but will check them out. I'm really more concerned about the position the speakers will be in. On a shelf is not ideal at all but sometimes needs must!

Are all bookshelf speakers rear ported?

Depends how small you want - I have the proac hexa's which are very small and designed for wall mounting. Not all bookshelfs are rear ported - i think the Avi Pro nine plus are front ported and my old monitor audio's were also front ported.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom