1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Small Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by julianwood, Nov 6, 2002.

1. julianwood

julianwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also on the hunt for a camcorder.

I have a friend with the Sony IP7 and he raves about it but hasn't yet connected it to a PC. I like the fact it's so small and can sit in your pocket, makes you use it more often.

I'm going travelling next year so want something light and easy to use.

I will be planning to hook up the camcorder to my PC via Firewire and then burn DVD's.

As I've seen the Sony I've been looking at them but don't want to limit my search - what's the PC120 like? Specs look ideal but is it a lot bigger than the IP7. IP7 seems also to get bad reviews.

Don't know whether to go for Micro or Mini DV. Seems Sony's software is cr*p for MicroDV.

Any ideas welcome, please include issues and useability.

Thanks

2. julianwood

julianwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another addition.

As still pictures are getting better on Camcorders, this would be a nice option.

I currently have an Olympus Z3000 which has served well but is a little bulky. I take most photos at 1280x968 which seems fine but lugging around a digital camera and camcorder is a pain if I can get a camcorder that can take decent stills for printing photos.

3. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used a few mini DV cams, and the Sony PC120 is by far the best!!!

If you do not mind bigger size than IPs, it is a the best 1 chip cam around, and I can still put it in my pocket...

You will not regret it !!!

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Avoid touchscreen controls.

5. Cmills

Cmills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AAA - are you sure the DCR120 is small enough to fit in your pocket, it seemed a little too big for that. It's still extremely portable though, I can't decide weather too get the extremely portable 110 or the better quality 120.........mmmmmmmmmm.....decisions, decisions.

6. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to order the pc101 next week....cause I dont want the bluettoth you get with pc120 and its also bigger. But I'd liek the 101e not to be touch screen. I liked the buttons on the pc120. Anyone know if theres much difference in quality? I know the actualy difference in specification but dunno wehter you can notice the quality change. pc120 is also a lot dearer. so I'm gonna go for the 101. Unless someone strongly advises me not to...

7. pilot

pilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DCR PC8 for sale which has most of the functions that the above dvcams have. I have advertised it on the classifieds section if anyone is interested.

thanks,

8. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the difference between the pc8 and the pc101?
    How much are you selling it for? I cant find it in the adverts section

9. pilot

pilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the ad got deleted for breaking some rule or other.

It is a 3 week old PC8, boxed, only used once. I have receipts as well. UK model. It is for £550 ovno. including car charger (cost £50) and 2 tapes.

thanks,

pareet

10. Cmills

Cmills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm with you Eddie,

The 101 looks extremely "pocketable" which is what I want. You dont' want to lug around a big, heavy camcorder around with you. I dont' mind the Touchscreen aparently it makes accessing the menus' easier, and contrary to popular belief, does not get smear marks from your fingers.

I just wish they had the spec of the 120 in the size of the 101.

Still from Consumer reviews researched on the net, there's a 75% ratio in favour of the 101.

Pricerunner UK shows that www.Pixmania.co.uk sell it for £839.00, no mention of Letsgodigital.co.uk selling it for 800 though! strange that.

11. Delithran

Delithran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 120 is probably the best model as far as specifications are concerned but for design and looks i like the Panasonic G4.

Other people may disagree but as far a mini DV camera's this is one of the best for size. Have u considered the IP55 this is an excellent camera with 2 Megapixel stills but it depends oin your bidget and which style you prefer.

12. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cmills, e-mail LGD and they will tell you the price is £800. It only just changed yesterday and they havent updated it on their site yet. I'm hopefully ordering one from them today.