Which small budget surround sound setup ?

JamieBee

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am looking for one for mainly using with a 360 and possibly the odd film on sky. My budget is £100-£300. Not bothered about massive amps and deafeningly loud sound as my walls are quite thin and the neighbours would be far from impressed. I do not need a dvd player/recorder so one of those home theatre systems are not needed.

Anyway, has anyone any recommendations ?

Thanks.:smashin:

thats system is just what im after too ? cheers mate (sorry to hijack) is it optical link ready ?

cheers again

It has 1 x analogue, 1 x digital coaxial, 2 x digital optical.
I was well taken with it...but for the life of me I cant think where I can use it.
I can not get the link to work but there is a review at www.homecinemachoice.com ( but couldnt find it on there site!!) Google it and you will find it with the title :- (pdf) YAMAHA, Fifth one down when i did it!
You have to see it in real life the speakers are small and the sub too...in my Currys they had it in Black and also Silver

I cannot find any reviews of that system on the interweb ape. Where did you find the review again ?

Found the review:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/outputpdf.php?file=WHC/036/076_WHC_036.pdf

Few more things:

The remote
d.jpg

Also comes in black:

5000100736981.jpg

What about that Panasonic (or was it Pioneer) speaker system that was designed to complement the 360?

I've got this and it's a little cracker........can't remember how much I paid but it was less than £300......about £260 i think....

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6581

I actually have the large "tallboy" speakers at the back due to arguments at home...:0) But it doesn't matter because they are the same watt and power etc....

there is a newer one which i don't know much about called the Pioneer 360

That's a nice match isn't it !!!!!

lol

search for reviews for other stuff here....and they are good honest very technical reviews...

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6265

apologies.....just read the full post.......never mind !

Bob

Sounds like there may be a few sound issues with the Yamaha one and the Pioneer one comes with a DVD player. Anyone else have any advice ?

Thanks for your help so far.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
i would reccommend the logitek stuff if what u want to do is link up a 360.
Its simple and the sound is great for playing games. None of these systems are as good or as flexible as separates but they are cheap!

I personally would avoid cheapo systems with dvd players as you can use the 360 as a dvd player.
I have the same system as Bourner mentioned except non wireless for my 360 and its great. Also have a look at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...2227?v=glance&n=560798&s=electronics&v=glance

mark

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So could you be able to play your sky through these 5.1 speakers.

What i mean is, the speakers would be connected to the 360 for gaming and dvd's (through optical connection on the video cable), so how would you connect your sky box to them to watch 5.1 sky movies?

scart cable

oasismark said:
So could you be able to play your sky through these 5.1 speakers.

What i mean is, the speakers would be connected to the 360 for gaming and dvd's (through optical connection on the video cable), so how would you connect your sky box to them to watch 5.1 sky movies?

those systems have an optical in, a coax and a 5.1 phono input so you have plenty of options.

See my signature - I got the Acoustic Solutions set from Argos and I've actually been really pleased with it, got 1 x coax input, 1 x optical input and standard stereo inputs.

Think it set me back about £160, can't be certain though.

Someone else mentioned Logitech and that was going to be my other choice, but the system I wanted stretched my budget just a little too far.

I am ideally looking for a system with 2 optical inputs for use mainly with a 360 and also dvd player/sky (I do not use the 360 as a dvd player as the pic is not as good as my dvd player).

The sound doesnt have to shake the walls just be reasonable....

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/558_331139.html

This is the sort of thing I am thinking about. An all in one speaker that has the amp and sub built in. Spoke to a guy in Comet this evening and he said the sounds quality is excellent, just as good as a proper 5 speaker surround set up and so no wires trailed along the floor. This was reduced to £450 but still beyond my budget of up to £300.

I do not actually know what these are called though when looking for similar ones on the net. Does anyone know ? Or have a similar one ?

Denon avr1706 from empiredirect.co.uk £186

Really good price, but you will have to buy the speakers seperately.

It also has 3 component ins (and one out of course), you could also get richer sounds to price match, so you will get another £10 off, i could'nt be bothered waiting.

I've got a videologic digitheatre. Had it for years and it's a great bit of kit. Does dolby 5.1 and DTS, has phono, optical and coaxial connections. You can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap nowadays.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom