1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which small amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cerotres, Apr 6, 2005.

1. cerotres

cerotres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking for a small amp to run my Dynaudio Audience 42W speakers (supported by a small sub to add, maybe Ruark Vital 50) in the living room. It should have connections for a second pair of speakers. I have my main equipment in another room, thus this one here will be for background music mainly and thus there's definitely no need for high power. But it should sound well anyway :thumbsup: .

At Richerounds I found Marantz PM4400 and Camebridge Azur 340 as good candidates. Well, Cambridge has not such a good reputation any longer, can anybody comment or give alternatives?

Thanks,

Torsten

2. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cerotres,
    You may want to check out the NADS and Rotels.I heard them while auditioning the Totem speakers and they were good. I also liked the Arcam with Quad 12L. Your Dynaudio will be a good match with these amps.
    Milpai

3. cerotres

cerotres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run Dynaudio with an NAD amp at my main equipment and I am completely comfortable with that. Would really like to do the same here, but there's just one amp at the current NAD line offering 2 speaker set connection and this is the biggest one, which definitely would exceed my intentions as well as budget.

I will check Rotel and the Arcam, Thanks.

T.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am sorry, but the Dynaudio's with those two amp would be a lifeless, soulless experience. Background music I understand, but Dynaudio's are very unforgiving.

At a minimum you are looking at entry level NAD, Rotel, etc. If they are too much, then I am afraid to say, sell the 42's.

5. cerotres

cerotres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ Harry T2: Thanks for the warning. You recommend "NAD, Rotel, etc." Do you think Arcam belongs to "etc."? There are several offers for Arcam Alphas at ebay but just very few for Rotel... Selling the 42s is not my favorite choice. I will certainly go on using them as rear speaker at my AV setup. Thus, alternatively I would have to by another pair of speakers but I should probably rather raise the budget for the additional amp...

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Arcam belong with "etc".

7. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may also try the Roksan Kandy or Creek.