Which slimline rear projection TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by markz, Sep 27, 2004.

1. markz

markz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decisions Decisions.......I thought I had made my mind up on a Sony KF42sx300, picture is reasonable it fits my budget (and room) and with a scaler I get the connectivity I need. Then I come across the LG, the Samsung and the Sagem. None of my local AV showrooms have all the sets so comparing them is difficult, whats the general concensus ...shoud I consider any others, which is the winner?

Best regards

Mark Z

2. markz

markz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I assume you have the LG?

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    And the new Toshiba.. click here

4. markz

markz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any rumour as to how £much?

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those speaker grilles look bloody wide, and I'll bet the speakers don't even occupy a third of the space in there. Why didn't they mount them below, to make it picture frame, and therefore take up even less space?? And why bloody Silver finish?!?!

6. f1ng3rs

f1ng3rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A press release in german on the Toshiba.de website (http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/presseinfo/PM 46WM48.pdf) states (I think-not done German for a few years) a price around €3499 which directly converted works out at about £2400 though expect it could be more in uk...

7. DazW

DazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my LG !!!! :clap:

8. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sagem: Looks great with a HD feed, but before buying try to see it using your own DVD player. I saw it in a local wareshouse type store using a normal DVD feed via SVHS and it was pretty awful. Don't know how much was the quality of the source or whether TV was badly configured.

Samsung: Assume you mean the SP-50L7H? I saw one last week - also very nice indeed. One thing - this has an integrated stand, and the model I saw had a glass base-plate that was just asking for something to be dropped on it or someone to step on it. Don't know if there are alternatives but think twice if you have kids

Other high end DLPs:
    - Have you considered the Loewe Articos 55? Big beast and expensive but quite impressive.
    - Try to take a look at the SIM2 Domino 45 or 55. Amazing picture (at least with HD source) and pretty slimline too. Also, it has added attraction of rarity value. Same price class as the Loewe.
    - Alternatively the SIM2 RTX - beautiful designer piece but very expensive!

10. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've seen both the 55" Sim2 screens with DVD, being fed both progressive scan and interlaced, and the picture quality is great. HD is outstanding.

Sky is so-so depending on the channel, better than any plasma I've seen but based on current experience it's best with the picture shrunk down to about 40". Movies and sport are still watchable, although some of the regular channels can look fairly poor.

Paul

11. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

WHere did you see the Samsung ?

JOhn

12. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually saw it in a big electronics superstore in Frankfurt (Nordwest Centrum to be exact). Probably not much help to you in Surry!

13. Morbius

Morbius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the LG for nearly 9 months - no problems, outstanding picture - and looks good too

14. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you guys with LG, I take it that it is RE-44SZ21RD.

Any problems with the so called rainbow effect?

15. blasthand

blasthand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Natal,

We've had our LG for about 3-4 weeks now, after ditching the 44PX3. The rainbow effect with DLP can be subjective - nót everyone does see it, but the wife & I both notice this on our set. On the plus side I find it to be somewhat source related as well. Viewing dvd's with progressive scan through a decent component lead we hardly ever see it (only run dvd though scart once), and it's only really noticeable with shots that pan across.

The only other fault I have with this set is skin-tones. They can look sort of shiny. Kinda hard to describe really, like an oil painting. It can be particularly bad if the background in a scene is dark and the foreground not as dark. But again, "seems" to lessened on dvd.

The picture is good (although it's taken me a while to get the settings right for us), but nowhere near as vibrant as the sony though. We've had no issues with geometry, and a 44" rear-pro set with a stand and somewhere to put my centre speaker, at last. The looks and the amount of space the set takes too are both assets. In short, I'll take the minor irritations of the skin-tones and sometimes rainbowing over the the horrible streaking and virtually un-watchable sport on the sony.

Hope this helps...

Blasthand.

16. Morbius

Morbius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I echo what blasthand has said above. I have not, however, seen the rainbow effect on my set. I do get some annoying reflections on the front screen in a sun lit room, but when viewing in the evening or a dimly lit roomI have no problems. Picture vibrant and rich, no geometry problems. Take time to get the setting s right for you. All in all the best value for money set I've seen.

I swapped out a Tosh 42Wh36 massive convergence problems. Had to be reset every day and 3 engineers couldn't fix.

17. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I assume your budget doesn't stretch to a Loewe 55 or a Sim 45/55 so i leave them out for now.

If you want the best value for money at £1500 go for the LG, superior to the considered Sony, better blacks, colours, better on moving pictures by a mile.
    negs would be the reflective screen and the rainbow effect if you are one of the unfortunate people who are prone of seeing them.

I like the Sagem, very good picture, seems to have come down to £2500 now. The Samsung and the Toshiba should be equally good, haven't seen them in person yet, but there's no reason to expect them to be worse than the Sagem, so there will be some compettiton at that price range, seems that they all will be around the same mark for the 50'' model, maybe the Toshiba 46'' is a slightly better priced offer.

Finally the 'slimmest' of the bunch of new ones will be the new Thomson DLP,
    only 18cm deep, another one to consider when it comes out, Thomson always places there products right on a par with Toshiba so they should do this again, but didn't have any chance yet to check the tv itself.

BTW, i'm still having one question for the owners of DLP rPtv's, any of you guys asked when they bought the TV what a replacement of the lamp(s) costs?
    Would be probably the only thing that keeps me from buying one at the moment being that Sagem and LG both quote a lamp lifespan of only 6000hrs.

18. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re lamp replacement: I have just bought the SIM2 45 (quite a 'bargain' - relatively speaking - at the moment!). Lamp replacement cost around €400. Expected life is around 6000 hours.

I heard that (may have got some details wrong) philips are developing a new light with a life span of around 20,000 hours - should hit the market next year. That should effectively close the issue on bulb life. Won't help the people who have already bought a TV as it will not be compatible (different voltage).

19. markz

markz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is really interesting, I had set my budget to £1500'ish. On balance I think the LG is slightly in the lead. I need a slimline because the lounge is quite small with a viewing distance about 2600mm, so the Thomson sounded good, the data sheet shows the depth as 174mm however the brochure / photo shows it as 421mm - maybe a red herring. I rang Thomson they claim the data sheet is correct - catalog is on its way - well see!. Lamp life 6000 hours is probably 3-4 years so although the lamp life is a consideration its not a major factor. I like the "showroom" picture on the LG, it was great on the DVD, only problem I could see was a little noise on the skin tones - I think this could be the lead. On normal TV / freeview it was not so hot, I hope the tv feed signal was poor and it was sky sports news which is low quality anyway. Un fortunately Comet have the LG and Powerhouse the Sony so its not possible to see them side by side. Price, the best price I can find is £1,280 for the LG inc cab delivered vs £1,180 for the Sony less stand. I think given the better connectivity the LG is edgeing towards my lounge...............

20. pmccurdy

pmccurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the LG as well and I cant see any rainbow effects either.

Game consoles and dvd on component gives stunning picture quality :thumbsup:

The only thing that is "slightly" annoying is the reflective screen when there's too much light but doesnt bother me too much since I mainly use it at night.

I got the 5 yrs warranty from LG as well, cant really go wrong, it even covers things like dropping your remote and breaks it, etc

21. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thx, that doesn't sound too much to me, one of these DLP beauties will then replace my current CRT RPTV in the not so distant future.

22. DazW

DazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my set around 5 weeks and no problems at all, although I agree about the reflections on the screen, definetly seen no rainbow effects, and no oil painting effect on skin tones. All in all, very pleased.

23. blasthand

blasthand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmmm,

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a faulty set due to the number of people posting back saying they have no strange effects with the skin tones...thoughts on this anyone?

Blasthand.

24. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a av-shop and checked out the lg dlp. Looked sweet, couldnt see any rainbows. But I didnt see the streaking on the sony either, before I got home and watched it for a couple of hours.

25. Morbius

Morbius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    9 months rainbow free !!!

26. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could it be due to settings i.e contrast brightness.
    Maybe there's an optimap setting.

/natal

27. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone who has the LG watch any hockey ?
    I would like to know if the puck (when moving fast) can cause the rainbow effect.

/natal

28. DazW

DazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am watching the golf whilst writing this and can't see any rainbow effect on the ball, so can't see a puk being any different.
    Thanks

29. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a owner of the LG and being half happy, I would urge anyone to wait for the new
    Samsungs and Thompsons, unless you dont mind funny skin tones and average black levels

If the new sets are any better than I will be selling my LG

30. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly let me apologise for what I am about to ask :blush: but, what is the difference between watching a DVD with component & watching it with a scart lead? :suicide: