Which SKY digibox if given the choice?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by stewarthollyhead, Jul 8, 2002.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As ITV digital died, I'm going to have to go to SKY (totally against my "fight the power" mentality :) ).

Anyway the installer I have found will let me chooise which digibox to go for:

I think the following are the ones available PACE , GRUNDIG and PANASONIC.

Which one is the best in terms of picture qulaity , load times etc. I have a 42 inch TV so even a marginal picture difference can be noticeable.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Panasonic is the most popular, but to be honest I think there is very little in it - as long as they are all the newest versions then they should all be pretty much the same.

3. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got the panasonic, looks nice and fits in with the rest of my silver stuff. Haven't seen any of the other though, I just asked for either the sony or the panasonic. Went by name really.

Oh and it was just installed last saturday, picture quality is good on a 36" panasonic TV. I'm having some problems but they are due to the signal rather than the box.

4. schnoz

schnoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i was initially pleased when i saw the sony box tucked under the sky installers arm.now having used it for a week i'm not so pleased .sure it looks very smart,sounds much better,hasn't crashed, switches on and changes channels much quicker than my nokia mediamaster 9850t ondigital box, but the nokia consistently beats it in picture sharpness (pictures are soft except for viewing sky premier widescreen).the autoview feature switches channels a few seconds after a programme i want to view has started,very annoying.i'm going to try to get my thomson vcr to do the timer operation to sort this particular problem.the picture quality issue was confirmed when i came across a sat installers site,saying that he didn't rate the sonys picture (unfortunately after mine was installed) he did like the other boxes mentioned before. later.

5. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi schnoz,

I've got a sony, looks OK to me, but since it's my first digibox I haven't got anything to compare with. What's this autoview feature you mention ?? Is it on the Sony ?

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ricke,

Autoview is a feature which is related to the personal planner feature on Sky itself - not a "box" related feature. If you select a programme that has not yet started from the Sky EPG, it is placed in your personal planner and by selecting the item and pressing the red button; you can enable "autoview". This makes the digibox switch over to the correct channel just before the programme starts - useful for setting up recordings etc if you plan to go out or away on holiday :)

Schnoz - are you sure the autoview problem you mentioned can be attributed to the Sony box??? I though autoview worked directly from the EPG?? ie. if it's not changing channel at the correct time it's down to Sky not updating the EPG quickly enough??

Kelvin :D

7. schnoz

schnoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    kelvin, thanks for your autoview info,i shall be getting in touch with sky to see what can be done about this feature.i suppose the point i was making was that especially for time shifting purposes i would like to be the one that determines when the digibox switches on/over like on the nokia itv digital box, using its own timer function,then at least if i messed up it would be my fault.i think that ease of use sometimes takes away control that i would rather have. ricke, you're a fortunate man being pleased with your picture i hope that situation remains. i come from the point of view that if a thing is supposed to work/operate in a certain way ,then that is what i should be getting.regards to you both.schnoz