Which sky box is the fastest at displaying the picture?

max436

Standard Member
Sorry if the title is a little confusing, what I’m getting at is that at my brothers place he has multiroom and if you put both boxes on sky sports for example, one picture is slightly ahead of the other. The Panasonic box he has seems to be the fastest, certainly ahead of the HD box (even on SS1, not Sky sports HD) and it was fractionally ahead of the Amstrad box he used to have

I know the differences maybe very small but this is not just some really anal question: I use betfair to lay in running odds on darts/tennis/football etc. and even a fraction of a second could in theory end up costing me money.
Does anyone know if Sky Sports is quicker still on cable?

I’ve turned to you knowledgeable guys as it is not an easy subject to find out information about elsewhere. Any other info relating to this would be greatly appreciated :lease:

cheers

Nick_UK

Banned
What about the latency on your internet connection caused by your ISP ?

max436

Standard Member
Yes, the internet connection is important: I have an adsl account on a BT line and broadband with NTL as well. If one fails or has a less than perfect service on a particular day I can use the other. To be honest I have not really had many problems with either, a tech minded guy helped me check them out using pingplotter and the like, he said they were pretty much as good as I could expect to get

When I use the exchange site the response seems virtually instantaneous so I’m not sure I can do much to improve on this. That’s why my mind turned to the TV pics

SamRadford

As the satellites are over the equator, people living in the south will get the signal sooner than those living in more northerly regions. This may be "anal" but, if every millisecond counts, move to Spain! :D

Nick_UK

Banned
More importantly - if 200mS could affect the effectiveness of your betting, don't bet :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom