1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which size plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tmurphy, Jun 9, 2003.

1. tmurphy

tmurphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have finally decided to upgrade my tosh 56" RPTV with a nice shiny new Plasma.

I have been very interesed in the Hitchi PMA400, due to it's excellent revies and good comments seen here.

However, the wife has complained in the "downsizing" of her viewing pleasure, and has said why not stump up the money and move to 50".

Now most people will think this is the perfect situation, sod the money and buy the big one, BUT...

Will the picture quality be as good (or better) on a 50" as a 42"? Do they just increase the size of the gas chambers to make the screen bigger or does it actually have a higher resolution?

Surley there is a point at which you have to interpolate the information from the DVD, as there may be higher resolution available on the plasma than there is on the DVD encoding.

Who's the best for 50's Panasonic or Pioneer (I need to connect at least 1x component, 2x RGB scart.

TIA

Tony Murphy

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. I think your wife is right in thinking that a 42" plasma would be quite a drop in size after your monster 56 incher! What are you going to do with all that floor space you'll reclaim? :p

The resolution of current 50" plasmas is either 1366x768 (eg Panasonic and Fujitsu) or 1280x768 on Pioneers. These resolutions are not available on 42 or 43" plasmas - the current maximum being 1024x768 which means slightly rectangular pixels to give you a 16:9 screen. Plasmas have in-built scalers and de-interlacers to turn each input into the panels native rate. The advantage is that the Pioneer has a card slot which can take third party cards which offer more inputs and features than the standard Pioneer card. This may be useful to allow you to take advantage of the new DVI output DVD players which are starting to appear, or the future HD-DVD players which wil probably have copy protected digital outputs. Hope this helps. :)

Steve

3. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about getting a smaller display (plasma or LCD) for regular viewing, and a projector for that big screen experience? We have a 37' plasma for day-to-day stuff and a projected 90' image for DVDs and occasional TV viewing.

Regards

Rob

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I side with rob there, and for the price of a 50" you can get a 37/42 panasonic and a half decent PJ and screen! Having said that, the picture on the 503MXE is so stunning in front of me perhaps I'll eventually go that way myself. At 50" consider a silicon image iscan processor, don't get a plasma with scarts on, they're for wusses. Use a JS component video converter to input all your devices to the iscan as component, switch sources with the iscan and that pronto remote you've been promising yourself.

BTW rob, I've made some boasts in my time, but a 37ft plasma for regular viewing!

5. R32

R32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree the 503 MXE is a stunning piece of kit. However no matter how high the resolution is of your 50" screen a 7-8' screen will always blow it away in the impact stakes

6. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I see you didn't even mention my 90 foot projected image for that big screen effect!

Being a child of the metric age I can never remember what's the symbol for inches and what it is for feet (' or ")! I just wish that we could stick with either metric or imperial units - my little brain isn't capable of using both at the same time.

Regards

Rob