Which Size Plasma - Help!!!

kioni

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi - hope someone out there can help. Related to TV size. My CRT has packed up and I need some help on which size flat panel to purchase. I'm leaning towards a plasma as the picture quality seems so much better then an LCD. Also, its most likely to be a panasonic. We will be sitting 2.5-3 meters from the front of the TV. With the base of the TV being approx 1 meter off the floor. Should I go for a 37 or 42 inch (TH37PX80 or TH42PZ80/85). Or are either of these too big. My research states that I should be getting a 32" at this viewing distance, but in the shop the 32" looked small. Beside getting a 32" would mean I need to go LCD. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

No, a 46" or 50" is the best size for this distance. If you must then the 42" will be OK but forget about even considering a 37"!

At 3m, you should be looking at 50" or 42" at the least. 50" would give you the best home movie kind of experience.

Good luck with your decision, oh and the 32" thingy is deffinitly wrong.

46" would be ideal at your distance.

Don't go for the 37" as you will regret it.It is one of Newtons Laws of physics that TV's start to shrink the minute you install them.

I'd go 50" full HD, i sit 2-3 meters from mine and i already think it looks smaller then it did the day i got it.

Had the same problem.
Chose the 50", am I glad I ruled out the 42". I could go the 60" now.
Phil.

It is amazing how quickly you get accustomed to a screen size. I replaced my 32" CRT with a 42" Plasma and for the first week or two the screen seemed significantly bigger. By week three it seemed normal as I'd become accustomed to it. Now, a month on, it seems on the small size and I wonder whether I should have gone for the 46"

Originally I fully intended to go for the 37" Panasonic Plasma, as I just wanted a modern flat panel TV to enjoy some good movies on, without being a true film or TV enthusiast. I also wanted a TV that wouldn't dominate the lounge size wise. I now realise a 37" would have been a bit of a mistake though and I'm happy I went with the 42", although a 46" may have been a better choice. Without the bulk of a CRT they don't take up a huge amount of space, or seem to dominate a room in the same way.

minimum of 42"mate. I sit 2m away from a 37 panny plasma and i long for a bigger screen especially on movies with black bars top n bottom. Bigger screen more detail better experience - I wish I had :rotfl:

cheers all

It is one of Newtons Laws of physics that TV's start to shrink the minute you install them.

:rotfl:

I would say AT LEAST 42" but a 46" would be even better.:thumbsup:

Forget what salesmen say , those idiots made me buy two years ago a 32" for 3.5 meters when even a 40" is too small.:mad:

Thanks to all for these replies. Good points about getting used to the size....so best to go for the biggest I can at this distance.

Vickster...brilliant website...cheers for the link!!!

Furthermore, I forgot to add that I'm unlikely to be watching HD or Blu-ray, the majority of the viewing is to be from my sky digibox - just normal SD channels. With the occaisional DVD. Hope that does not affect the "best" size in anyway.

I'm now thinking 42" panasonic. Has anyone had any issues with he TH-42PZ80B or TH-42PZ85B? If anyone can offer advice on whether it worth paying the extra £200 for the 85? The best price I've seen for the 85B is 1099 (with a 5 year warranty included). Cheers.

Hi Kioni

If you're mainly going to be watching SD then the PX80 gets great reviews and feedback for it's SD - with some saying it is CRT quality.

If you do go HD then I saw the PX80 at the side of a PZ85 playing the same HD source and you could only notice the difference less than 5 feet away. More than that and you could not tell them apart.

I am sure that they are plenty of PX80 owners who would recommend this TV.

Seriously though, if you can stretch to a 46" it will make all the difference over a 42"

I know it's only 4" but it does make a difference.

I echo all the above comments :)

go for a 50", failing that a 46".

We have a large open plan room in a barn. The previous owners had a 42" in a recess on the fireplace...when we put the sofa where it would be then the 42" looked like a portable - we ended up with a Panny 58" as its the biggest that would fit...it looked big for about 1 week, now its just normal - the old 37" is on the bedroom wall now and looks just right from about 6ft away.

After much deliberation, we purchased a 42" plasma - a Panasonic TH-42PZ85. Costco were doing a superb deal with a 5 year warranty included. Got it home (its humungus!). Initially, very impressed with the quality. The sound is brill. The picture was great. However, over two weeks you start noticing all the flaws.

Watching football is no good - the "haze/shadow/blurring" you get spoils the whole experience. Other programmes are better, but I just wondering what can be done to improve. I've tried a new scart lead (connected to a SkyPlus box). Tried fiddling with the picture settings. Anyone have any thoughts they wish to share???? Any advice would be appreciated. Else I'll be making use of the 90 day returns policy. BTW: we sit 2.5m away from the telly.

Have you got your tv settings right?switching your sky box setting to RGB in the picture menu might also help.You stated that you watch a lot of SD viewing so maybe you should have went with the very popular PX80 instead.Also like many on here i bought a 42"but now want a 50".:)

Furthermore, I forgot to add that I'm unlikely to be watching HD or Blu-ray, the majority of the viewing is to be from my sky digibox - just normal SD channels. With the occaisional DVD. Hope that does not affect the "best" size in anyway.
Save your money. You need the 42PX80, just £650. Better SD picture than the PZs.

Thanks for the replies. I've been onto Panasonic support, Costco Concierge Services and Skys technical helpline. Have tried every adjustment under the sun. It basically comes down to...

1) should ideally have a HDMI cable running between sky box and TV. The scart converts signal to analogue (then TV reconverts to digital). So this affects picture quality, I'm told. However, Skyplus box has not HDMI connection. Was told by Sky guy to try and source a Sky HD box from somewhere an use that.

2) Everyone I spoke to said the same....having a full 1080p TV and watching a SD source is the issue. The upscaling is magnifying the flaws. Should have gone for the normal HD ready TV instead. Luckily Costco have a 90 day return policy.

However, they didn't have the PZ80 in stock...the other option was a Pioneer 428 (more money)...anyone have any experiences with that connected to a SD source?

having a full 1080p TV and watching a SD source is the issue. The upscaling is magnifying the flaws. Should have gone for the normal HD ready TV instead.
Completely the wrong idea. Resolution difference isn't a magic make-SD-better solution. You need decent scaling (which, incidentally, is something Pioneer has), but even then crap broadcasts still look crap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom