1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Size Panny?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by garysevern, May 21, 2005.

1. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just seen the 42PV500 in the Panny store in Sheffield and I now I can't decide whether its 37 or 42 inch :rolleyes: I just know if I get the 37 then I'll wish I'd have got the 42 but there's always the chance the 42 will be too big. I've seen on
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/1-introductiontoplasmatv.html

that the guide is up to 10 feet for 37 and 10-14 for 42. I'm putting this in a square attic space with stairs on one side. In my sitting position my head is 10 feet from the screen and my wife's is 8 so it kind of points me in the direction of the 37 but am I going to regret it?

Those with 42" screens how far away is your seating position?

Thanks.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    Becuase the PV500 has a higher pixel count, you can get away with sitting closer, probably 8 feet min.
    You don't get many people regretting they bought a bigger plasma, but there are always people who regret buying smaller.
    I would like a 50" for my room, but the jump from 42"-50" is about £2000 but from 37"-42" is only a few hundred.]

How did the PV500 look? Were you impressed?

3. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It looked :thumbsup: PQ was excellent but difficult to compare in a shop. I like the hidden speakers not that I'll be using them much! Price was good too - £2699 with the ped. stand and free DVD Recorder (+ £140 to upgrade to the DMR-EH50 which I'll probably do) and includes 5 year guarantee.

4. oh aye

oh aye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gary severn where did you get your quotes from

5. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thats the Panny Shop in Sheffield.

Recap -

42PV500 with Pedestal stand - £2699* includes free basic DVD Recorder and 5 year guarantee. Add £140 to updgrade DVD recorder to DMR-EH50.

*£2999 with the Full Base stand.

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Gary - I asked this question a while ago, but about plasmas 'in general' rather than the PV500.

The general concensus seemed to be that no man has ever complained their screen is 'too big' after buying a at 42in and that unless you are going to be sitting with your nose to the screen this is probably the size to go for.

Try the old caardboard cutout trick and see what you think. In otherwords make a cutout of the 42in screen and stick it on the wall where you plan to put the screen - see what you think about the size. Leave it for a few days and then cut the card down to a 37in screen and see if you are happy with this.

If you are going to be at 'average' viewing distances, the advice I was given condensed to 'buy the bigger screen unless you really can't afford it'. Check out this thread for some comments: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208421