Which size of plasma for 2-3 meters viewing?

leyburn1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to buy a Panasonic plasma and really need some advice on screen size. I have a 32" Sony CRT with a Virgin V+ at the moment and have been considering either the 42px70 or 37px70. My concern is that the 42px70 viewed so close will look bad on SD broadcasts and on the flip side the 37px70 wont look much bigger than my Sony. I have also considered going for the 42" Full HD panny would this help any? I take it that at 37" full HD isn't an issue. I'm sorry if I'm covering ground that has been in other threads, would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

G

42" should be fine.

I'm still using my Sony 32FQ set so take what I say in context.

Over the last couple on months I have been Stalking Curry's and comet and various other stores trying to first of all decide Plasma or LCD,, that decision took 3 minutes:D

My first priority Is SD quality I found the 42" PX image sharper and less"busy" viewing SD material compared with the newer PZ every time, plus I found the picture quality held up really well as you got closer to the screen... not bad even at 6 feet ,at this distance the LCD sets were horrible.

At 8 foot viewing the PX and PZ side by side both running 1080 blue ray I Could see no advantage of the 1080 set,, both sets looked great, But I did see the 58PZ running the same material and the 1080P really made a difference on that set, amazing picture

I also saw the Pioneer 4280 and it looked a lot better than both the Panasonic sets viewing freeview ,crisper images, More definition to edges of objects and so clean ,VERY sharp picture but not artificially sharp if that makes sense... really hard to put into words .... but a LOT more expensive, Wish I never saw it:)

What I have learned Is trust yours eyes, everyone is different and want different things..go and have a good look, Its surprising even under these viewing conditions how quickly the differences show.

What I have learned Is trust yours eyes, everyone is different and want different things..go and have a good look, Its surprising even under these viewing conditions how quickly the differences show.

QFT

yep we are all different and have different eyes and expectations, nothing beats checking out gear for your self

Thanks for all your replies, great advice from everybody. I think i'm going for the 42", now my only dilemma is whether to go for the panasonic or the pioneer!!! (cheers for that Johnegpf :smashin: although it does look like it's gonna hit my wallet hard:rolleyes: )will call in to currys and have a look for myself. This is probably a daft question but does anybody know if my Virgin media V+ box is a better or worse signal than the freeview demoed in tv shops, just so that I know what I am comparing it to.

Cheers again

G

I think i'm going for the 42", now my only dilemma is whether to go for the panasonic or the pioneer!!!

that comes down to your budget! Is the pio worth £500ish more than the panny? I don't think so but thats personal choice

If it was me getting a 42" I'd get the Panasonic 42PZ70B but I'm sure the Pioneer 4280XD is a very good set as well, just a lot more expensive.

I think with the extra £500 that it costs I'd rather buy the panny and then also a 32" LCd for the bedroom!

As bubble says

At that distance 42" will be fine

If you need to sort it any sort of order try

Pioneer (is it worth the extra)
Panny (PX70/PZ70)
Sammy (C96/Q96/97)
Philips5532 (some people give it favourable reviews here)

Panny PX7 (cut down version of PX70)

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom