Which size graduated filter for D7000?

Captain_Danger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am continuing on my magical mystery tour of the D7000. I would really like to get a few graduated filters (grey, blue, orange) but I have no real clue as to what size (mm) I need to buy. I would prefer screw in ones rather than the sheets you attach over the lens.

I have the standard 18-105mm lens that comes with the D7000 and the Nikon 300mm Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics lens.

Can someone please advise what sizings and perhaps where best to buy?

Many thanks,

Ben.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi.
Forget the coloured ones really, thats what photoshop exists for.

That lens requires 67mm screw in filters.

Note with screw in split filters you cant adjust the position of the graduated change, this is hugely restrictive.

Hi.
Forget the coloured ones really, thats what photoshop exists for.

That lens requires 67mm screw in filters.

Note with screw in split filters you cant adjust the position of the graduated change, this is hugely restrictive.

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. So what filters would you recommend? Any particular brand and retailer?

Thanks,

Ben.

What do you want to do with the filters?

Just really to have that graduated look so the top half of the image is "greyed" or made more "orange".

You will have to forgive me I am still very new to all this and might be barking up the wrong tree here. From my limited usage of SLR's, I tend to get either overexposed sky's (usually white cloud) or the sky's look correct, but the land below the sky looks too dark. I thought a graduated grey filter might help that...?

Last edited:
Captain_Danger said:
Just really to have that graduated look so the top half of the image is "greyed" or made more "orange".

You will have to forgive me I am still very new to all this and might be barking up the wrong tree here. From my limited usage of SLR's, I tend to get either overexposed sky's (usually white cloud) or the sky's look correct, but the land below the sky looks too dark. I thought a graduated grey filter might help that...?

As Rob said already, you should be able to recover that in LR or PS or something like that.. Might be easier that way...

As Rob said already, you should be able to recover that in LR or PS or something like that.. Might be easier that way...

My photoshop skills aren't too clever. Plus, I imagine you could only alter that if you shot in RAW? I thought if an image is blown out there isn't a lot you can do about it?

My photoshop skills aren't too clever. Plus, I imagine you could only alter that if you shot in RAW? I thought if an image is blown out there isn't a lot you can do about it?

Mine are not great either and hence I use LR4. Very very easy to use... I also shoot in RAW and that makes life a lot easier from PP point of view...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom