Which size - 40 or 42"?

dazwaldo

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to upgrade my Pioneer 37" LCD this year after 4 good years. Since then we've moved to a house with a larger living room so can go for something a touch bigger.

My main priority as well as top picture quality is a slim bezel (needs to look as unobtrusive as possible as it's the only way I can get the missus to agree to a larger set!).

A lot of the new sets at CES feature ultra slim bezels - Samsung, Pioneer, Sony, LG. So do I go for the best set regardless of 40 or 42 or just only focus on the the 42" manufacturers to squeeze out that max screen size? Just trying to decide if the extra 2 inches are worth worrying about over anything else.

Having made the mistake (twice) of getting a TV that is too small, I would most certainly recommend the biggest size possible.

I have gone 32", 37", 46" and yesterday picked up a 50" panel. I can say, without doubt, that after a couple of hours a bigger panel stops looking bigger. You would be amazed how quickly you get used to the extra size.

Your wife might not be too pleased with the bigger screen at first, but believe me because I have learnt this the hard way, she will be a lot less impressed when you tell her you need to upgrade again in a years time.

My recommendation is the Panasonic 42GT50. I picked up the 50" version and it is so much better than my old 46PZ80. The best PQ I have ever seen on a TV.

Don't go for style (LED) over substance (plasma)

thanks for the info. In my ideal world I would go for a 46 but i know it won't get past the boss as it will take over the room.

I think you are right about Plasma and I know it's totally the wrong attitude when it comes to choosing a TV but for me the set has to look attractive and for me the Panasonic is not the best looking TV in the world.

I'm going to wait and see what the new 2013 sets are like when they hit UK shores later this year but it looks like 42 plasma options will be few and far between as it seems to be the bigger sizes that only available on the top end models.

You are right, Panasonic plasmas are not the best looking panels.

But the GT50 is a big step up from my PZ80. Now that is one ugly looking TV:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom