• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which side is the right side?

Canary_Jules

Prominent Member
Help! I am in the process of constructing a new scope screen. I've built the frame and was part way through stapling a roll of Harkness Hall's Event Matt White on it when it occurred to me that I didn't know which side of the material is the projection surface. Each side looks so similar! Does this Matt White have a 'proper' side? Would it have a coating to give it it's 1.0 gain? And if so how the heck can you tell when both sides are pure white?

mech

Established Member
Try it out temporarily and see which side does better. I know that certain types of blackout cloth have a side to use and a side to not use.

Canary_Jules

Prominent Member
Hi Mech. Thanks for the tip. I called Harkness Hall this morning and they confirmed that there is indeed a 'right' side for this material. It is the least glossy of the two - which is really hard to determine. They also told me they usually have the projection side rolled so that it faces out from the cardboard tube it comes on. So I have my answer :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom