1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which should i buy Ringu or Ring!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by asteri, May 8, 2003.

1. asteri

asteri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Hope someone can help! I don't know which version to buy!! :confused:

I have noticed though, that on Play, Ringu (1hr 40) has a slightly longer playing time than the Region 0 (1hr 31), does it include a longer or extra scene?

Thank you

asteri

2. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the R0 is PAL, as I suspect it is, then it's just the slowdown, PAL films are always shorter than NTSC versions. Someone far more technically able than me will be able to ecplain why.

There are subtle differences in the versions, though, I believe, where the victims faces, after they have been killed, are creepier in the R0 version, if you know what I mean. I am sure someone will be along who will know all the details.

Rambo J, this means you, I think.

3. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I am not sure if I am reading this right.
    Are you referring to Ringu as the original Japananse version and 'Ring' as the recent US remake?

If so I have seen both and would say go for both versions as they do differ slightly. There are some bits which I would have liked seen included in the remake but weren't.
    Although neither of them have any decent extras they are both good films.
    The original obviously has a lower budget but this kind of adds to the atmosphere.
    However I was impressed by the remake.
    I usually cringe when I hear the word remake but I felt this was at times perhaps even more tense at times than the original.
    There is one scene which involves a horse. I won't say anymore but this was not in the original and I was quite shocked by the outcome.

If you can't afford both I would go for the remake!

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I may be missing the point, but isn't Ringu the original Japanese version, and Ring the US remake?

I recently bought The Ring, very very good film. Is it worth getting Ringu as well?

5. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    errr. I guess you were writing your post at the same time as mine!:laugh:

6. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeh, but you won. :clown:

Anyway very interested in what you have to say about Ringu. And I agree with you about the horse scene in The Ring, a fabulously atmospheric and well crafted sequence.

When this film (Ring) started, I thought it was going to be another blonde bimbo, scream and chase film. How wrong was I. Naomi Watts gave an excellent performance.

7. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ring freaked the hell out of me but Ringu didn't. Both worth watching but only the remake has bothered me about static on TV sets :blush: :D

the faces in Ring will stay with me for a long time I think!!!

Dave

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neither freaked me out but I agree with above that the US remake was far better. Ringu was dull for me.

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    sorry to be a purist chaps but i think the jap orginal is the better film. but hey its only an opinion.

Gary

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many do prefer the original Gary and I fully accept if I am in the minority. I think I have a dislike of the director in general actually as I watched Dark Water last week (also directed by Hideo Nakata) and found it a bit dull too, although it was definitely worth a watch.

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    SG, i just have a thing about american remakes (a comment i once made on this forum about subtitles led to me be being so "flamed to death" that could have joined the Fantastic Four!!)

i just wonder if all those who tend to like such remakes will make of the Italian Job remake?

I agree that films are not scary anymore though, but hey when you are as old as i am (37) and your staring death in the face every morning on public transport theres little that can scare you on screen.

Gary
    :smashin:

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like all remakes, but this one was a vast improvement :)

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    although , it was quite funny when, as the end credits rolled, the phone rang in my house (it was my daughter) it was just one of those moments of fate. but funny none the less.

Gary

14. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got both - enjoyed both - I also like the differences beteen the two - reminded me of what my mad bad chemistry teacher once said - the same, only different!!:nono: :rolleyes:

15. asteri

asteri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't make myself clear!! I was trying to ask which of the Japanese versions i should get, region 0 or the new remastered one!! I hope thats more clear, i was being a bit of a dilbert in my expanation yesterday!!

16. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New remastered one has vastly improved picture and sound quality, but is quite a bare bones affair. It's the one I plumped for and happy with it I am. The 5.1 soundtrack is superb.

There are a few extras on the R0, but I can't remember what they are, but the transfer is not quite as good, and sound is stereo only.

There is virtually no difference in running times, but there is a small special effect that seems to be present in the R0, that is not in the R1. It's aaaaaaaggeess since I saw the R0, so I can't quite remember. Where is Rambo J when you need him, he will know?

*Look, notice how I did not get sucked into the which version (ie remake or original) is best debate? Big gold star for me.

17. asteri

asteri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he he gold star for you :D :D

I loved both films but did find the original hell of alot scarier, but them i'm such a girlie!!

Thank you for your help, I think i'll buy the new remastered one!!