Question Which should I buy based on upscaling?

tomakage

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've just sold my current EU40MU6400 due to wanting a slightly bigger sized TV.

Now of course I'd like a 10bit panel and higher brightness etc but one of my main things I'm looking for is upscaling (mainly 720p - 1080p due to playing on my switch).

My options are: Sony xe90 (49") for around £900, Sony xe93 (55") for around £1300 and finally the same samsung model but a 49" version for about £450 (not 10bit but was quite happy with the quality for gaming in SDR).

I am aware the xe93 has the best upscaling tech due to the X1 extreme chip but has anybody actually compared it to the other TVs or other TVs in general? Is it worth the extra amount of money compared to the xe90 for the chip?

Thanks

I wouldn't get the same Samsung as it likely uses a PLS panel at 49" compared to VA at 40".

Sony XE93 is only worth it for its extra HDR capabilities. 500 extra nits peak brightness, Dolby Vision HDR support.

If you don't need decent HDR you could even go down to the XE85xx series.

I don't believe in the malarkey manufacturers give for the same chipsets, more optimisation in software maybe but not really a significant difference.

If you want a clear picture sub 1080p, especially up close then get a 1080p TV.

What is your viewing distance and why is a 10 bit panel important to you?

I wouldn't get the same Samsung as it likely uses a PLS panel at 49" compared to VA at 40".

Sony XE93 is only worth it for its extra HDR capabilities. 500 extra nits peak brightness, Dolby Vision HDR support.

If you don't need decent HDR you could even go down to the XE85xx series.

I don't believe in the malarkey manufacturers give for the same chipsets, more optimisation in software maybe but not really a significant difference.

If you want a clear picture sub 1080p, especially up close then get a 1080p TV.

What is your viewing distance and why is a 10 bit panel important to you?

Thanks for the reply.

My viewing distance is around 5 feet so it's not too far and 10bit is important as I do a lot of gaming on my ps4 pro and laptop so I am interested in hdr but not enough to spend an extra 500 for a better experience.

Wanted the upscaling due to playing my Nintendo switch on the same tv also.

So based on the info given, would you recommend the xe90? I'll look at the tv you mentioned in your post too.

My viewing distance is around 5 feet so it's not too far and 10bit is important as I do a lot of gaming on my ps4 pro and laptop so I am interested in hdr but not enough to spend an extra 500 for a better experience.
Bit depth isn't really important, there are far more important aspects that constitute to good HDR, bit depth is largely irrelevant. If HDR performance is important to you then the Sony XE93 is worth the extra, its "good" rather than "decent" with HDR compared to the Sony XE90.

It shouldn't be £500 more than the XE90,

XE90
XE93

You can often get reputable stores to match cheaper prices if you don't want to buy from a lesser known store. Such as John Lewis' price guarantee.

As long as you aren't viewing close FHD>UHD will look okay, 720p may be a little softer. I would be very surprised if you could notice the XE93 upscaling better than the XE90 but at £300 more other areas of the XE93 make it better value if you want good HDR.

Bit depth isn't really important, there are far more important aspects that constitute to good HDR, bit depth is largely irrelevant. If HDR performance is important to you then the Sony XE93 is worth the extra, its "good" rather than "decent" with HDR compared to the Sony XE90.

It shouldn't be £500 more than the XE90,

XE90
XE93

You can often get reputable stores to match cheaper prices if you don't want to buy from a lesser known store. Such as John Lewis' price guarantee.

As long as you aren't viewing close FHD>UHD will look okay, 720p may be a little softer. I would be very surprised if you could notice the XE93 upscaling better than the XE90 but at £300 more other areas of the XE93 make it better value if you want good HDR.

I decided to originally go for the xe90 however curry's didn't have it in stock and they had the xe93. I usually buy a TV maybe every 6 or so years unless there is a need to upgrade so figured I'd just pull the trigger. Unfortunately they said they could price match with third party retailers so they refused to price match with one of the sites I found using the link you provided.

Thanks for all the info and that site, it's appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom