Which setting?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by so1o, Aug 28, 2013.

1. so1o

so1o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I have a sharp xv z21000.

When watching sky movies hd. At the beginning when they show you the rating for the movie " pg 15" etc the white text on the black background looks fuzzy with the white text looking like its to bright or highlighted . Why is this? What setting do I need to adjust? The image is fine but not as sharp or detailed as when I was first projecting on to a magnolia wall. I now project onto a white matt mdf screen.

Which setting do I need to change to make this better? I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I know I can get a better image like I was getting before.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    May be worth running a calibration disc to give you a good starting point.

3. so1o

so1o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I have used the monster disc and the disc available on avsforums. This has not sorted it. Image isn't bad but not as good as before.

I really don't know what's changed.

4. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    If you only spot this issue on the sky rating screen I wouldn't worry about it, if you getting it elsewhere then something doesn't sound right. Saying that with my Epson tw6000 any red text on a black/dark background the text looks messed up, like jagged around the edges, for how often I see this I'm to bothered.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,902
    I wonder if this rating is just a poor quality screen, or perhaps it was made at a lower resolution (or perhaps being upscaled)?

Assuming that test patterns look sharp enough, perhaps the only control that might be worth checking with is the sharpness control (and 'detail enhance' if it has one). It's a common mistake to ramp these settings up to try to get a sharper picture (that's what the control is for right?) but I often find that the correct setting is very low or even off on my various displays (including my projector too).

If you pause it on this problem 'scene' then lower the sharpness you might find that an 'etched' surround effect will go. Not sure if this is quite what you're saying, so apologies if I've misunderstood, but I hope it helps. :thumbsup:

EDIT: If it is upscaled then the sharpening might be happening earlier in the display chain (ie in the device doing the upscaling). Some devices tend to add ringing when upscaling, which some perceive as looking sharper. Lumagen video processors use a proprietary 'no ring' upscaling circuit that avoids this issue unless it's inherent in the source.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. so1o

so1o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all that replied.

Sharpness is set to zero. I think it may just be me. I might have gone a bit overboard looking for perfection.

I'm going to put up some pictures when I get a chance to show what sort of picture I get and also of the problem I have.

Cheers

7. so1o

so1o
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some pics as promised

[​IMG]

[/URL]
    [​IMG]