1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHICH Setting for DTS etc

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tobez, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Tobez

Tobez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just read the Post of the DTS and wondered in laymans terms which i should be using on the amp ?

I have a Pioneer VSX 2011 and have always wondered what the diff was on the amp when i flicked thorugh. My setup is as follows

The above AMP, with Mission FS2 speakers connected to Mission sub. With a REL 150 as backup, these are then connected to the 5 fs2 speakers i then have 2 Mission M5s as the 7.1 or rear speakers. Now if i watch a 5.1 ive got a few options 5.1, 5.1 xxx and 7d theatre ? which should i be using for the speaker setup.

When watchin LOTR in 6.1dts which is the best for the speaker setup i have ? leave it as it is or crank to 1 of the other settings. Sorry i cant list them but i unsure exactly what they are as im at work.

another question is also if i pick 5.1 with the setup i have will this not use the rear 2 ? do i have to specifically choose IE 7d thatre for these to kick in. Also 1 of the opions is THX, as i havent got THX speakers what does it actually do as i cant hear anything ? does it output something that only THX has.

Thanks again

2. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    That's a good link - but (and I don't want to sound dismissive) I think this is the kind of thing that a good read of the manual will solve. You've got the right test disk (LOTR) in that it has Dolby Digital EX (IIRC) as well as DTS-ES soundtracks available to test out those rear surrounds with.

Just to confirm - you can distinctly hear the two rear speakers, separately from the other two surrounds in parts of the LOTR soundtrack (Return is a good one for this), so if you can't bear to read up, try the different settings until you can hear the rear surrounds separately from the normal 5.1.