Which second hand receiver?

yocky

I've just invested in a Panasonic plasma for which I'm building an HTPC. Now I'm not going to squinting at my TV from 12 feet away I'm keen to eek even more out of my DVD experience so the audio aspect is next for a rethink.

I've never had more than a pair of speakers before (and I live in a flat) so I'm not going to go mental...yet. I've got a pair of Kef Coda 9 floorstanders, I've just acquired an old Coda C center, and the plan is to get something like a pair of Kef Q1s as rears.

Obviously I'm just playing at the Home Cinema thing at the moment, but that being the case could someone recommend me a bargain second hand AV receiver to complement this setup? Let's say I'm willing to spend up to £400.

I don't need any HDMI action, but the one stipulation is that it has to be a good stereo performer. Ideally this will replace my Arcam 6 plus as the one amp in my set up.

yocky

No recommendations for a now obsolete AV amp with great stereo music performance?

Alternatively recommendations for a second hand power amp to run my main two speakers.

Sorry if this gets asked a lot. My searches haven't come up with anything too helpful yet.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I'd be looking to the slightly older flagships from Denon and Yamaha and the like.

I just paid £250 for a Denon AVC-A1D. This was a £2000 amp a few years ago.
I don't recommend this particular model, as I think it's rubbish in some aspects.
It's THX, has nice power and does a pretty decent job with music. But it's also the poorest of the Denon flagships by all accounts. The slightly newer models, just after the A1D are much improved apparently.

It's a great time now for secondhand, as loads are dumping their old stuff for HDMI.

Take this as an indicator of what you can expect to get for your money :smashin:

Nakano

Standard Member
I'd like to know about this as well, was thinking of a Arcam avr300 for M&K speakers. Anything else even better but go for around the same price 2nd hand?

I'd like to know about this as well, was thinking of a Arcam avr300 for M&K speakers. Anything else even better but go for around the same price 2nd hand?

You could do worse than this and it's new Onkyo TX-SR605 AV-Receiver AV £350

Advertised on here http://www.av-sales.co.uk/AV-Forum-Offers-401/ONKYO-TX-SR605-AVFORUM-401-.htm

Or theirs this (and again it's new so warranty):- http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-AZUR-540RV3-BLK

Or this:- http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2912

Or this:-
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3592

All the above are new, come with warranty, will be good with music (up to the level of the kef Coda speakers). Can handle most of todays audio formats and will connect all your kit up and out to the plasma screen. :smashin:

yocky

I'd be looking to the slightly older flagships from Denon and Yamaha and the like.:

...and Arcam I'd assume?

What would be the better solution, An Arcam AVR300 or spending the same on lesser receiver twinned with a power amp for the fronts? Or isn't that specific enough?

(Up the Villa!)

You could do worse than this and it's new Onkyo TX-SR605 AV-Receiver AV £350

I tend to lag several years behind the tech curve and quite like it that way. I'm assuming the Arcam would wallop the Onkyo on sound quality.

(up to the level of the kef Coda speakers)

Well that's a good point. I quite like my speakers but am I wasting my time matching them up with really quality kit?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
And probably yes, the Arcam too. Although I have no experience of it, it's very highly regarded by many people.
I suspect it would certainly be better than the lesser Onkyos, but I think you're right, a lesser receiver used with a power amp would probably be your best bet.
But that's not my game, I'm just going off what I read on here.

The reason I mentioned the older flagships was mainly for the power, but I doubt they would live with any half decent Power amp in all honesty.

The point about your Codas is a pretty valid one and I'd say it depends if you're thinking about upgrading them at some point.

...and Arcam I'd assume?

What would be the better solution, An Arcam AVR300 or spending the same on lesser receiver twinned with a power amp for the fronts? Or isn't that specific enough?

(Up the Villa!)

I tend to lag several years behind the tech curve and quite like it that way. I'm assuming the Arcam would wallop the Onkyo on sound quality.

Well that's a good point. I quite like my speakers but am I wasting my time matching them up with really quality kit?

You won't necessarily hear that much difference with the Arcams unless you have good source, good speakers, etc. What source do you use? I'm assuming you want good all rounders to include good stereo performers, good DVD playback and connection to your plasma as well if so any of these especially any that can bi-amp will be fine. No need to spend more (and I know what I'm talking about hehe read my signature and you all know you've been there... well save yourself!!!!).

Remember most DVD sound is like good MP3 sound it's not like the quality you get from stereo so in fact you could just highlight poor sound of some DVD's. Now if you really want very good dvd sound then you have to look at HD/Blueray players and then you would want a AV AMP that can handle PCM for all channels most of the ones I suggest will and some will convert the bitstream too.

So what are you really really after is the question. I have done all the musical fidelity power amps, electro static speakers, headphones, linn lp12 fully loaded turntable, sacd, etc and to be honest if you don't have the kit all the way through it doesn't make that much difference. Most amps will deliver 70 - 90% of performance of the good stereo amps for that extra 30% you need other kit to hear it.

brad

I have an Onkyo 905 that has just replaced my Arcam avr300. The Onkyo is not as good as the Arcam in 2 channel but the Onkyo with a 5.1pcm soundtrack is amazing :D:D I used to have a set of floorstanders in my living room until the wife outlawed them:suicide: I then moved to M&K in walls which are very good speakers for movies but as for 2 channel they suck:rolleyes::rolleyes: I have another system for 2 channel hence the change in amp for me I will be selling my avr300 in silver shortly if you are interested let me know.

Brad.

pjclark1

I just got a new Denon 1907 from Richer Sounds for £170
They keep having the Cambridge Azur 540 Mk2 for £150

Cynar

If you want decent stereo, don't need HDMI and want to spend around £400 second hand there's two choices - Arcam or Arcam.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom