1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which screws/bolts to physically shift tube?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Can anyone please explain which screws and/or bolts I need to slacken to enable me to physically move a tube on a Barco 701s sideways. I need to shift the red tube slightly and not sure which ones to do. Thanks.

2. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Messiah,

I assume you want to toe in the red tube so that the image lines up with the green one.

The following is easy when you have the projector in front of you but difficult to describe.

You need to loosen four screws to effect this movement. Two of them are very obvious as they sit on the bar which runs across the top of all three tubes. These on their own will only allow movement if the bottom two screws are loosened. Position yourself so that you are looking directly down at the top two screws (assuming projector in tabletop position). If you now look at where the lense meets the crt assembly you will see a screw slightly to the side of each top screw and some 3 or four inches below (where the bottom of the crt assembly meets the chassis). You will need a nut driver and an extension bar or similar to reach them. These screws will probably have a hex head and no slot. They look impossible to get at, but with slimline tools you will reach them. Under no circumstances apply excessive force to the neck of the crt tube (expensive mistake if you get it wrong). The crt should move easily when all four screws are backed off.

good luck

Alan

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Alan

I know exactly now which bolts you refer to as when I first got the pj I noticed a slight movement was possible in the blue lens so tightened those bolts on all 3 lenses. Easier then than now as the pj is now ceiling mounted.

And you are spot on as to why I need to do it. I have pushed the pj up to throw an 8ft horizontal image (to fill new screen) and whilst the blue and green images are just within boundaries the red is slightly off on one corner. Will probably have to scratch my head as to which way to move it (trial and error it will be me thinks) and am I right in thinking that once I have done that I then use the convergence adjustment to pull red back in line. Can't remember seeing a red (or blue) horizontal shift adjustment. Am I right :confused:

Thanks again for your advice.

4. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Messiah,

I do not own a Barco myself but have helped friends set up theirs. What follows may not be 100% accurate as it is purely from memory, I am sure Roland or one of the other Barco guys will keep you right.

I would recommend going into the menu system and selecting the option that centres all the controls. I would then remove the lenses and ensure that the raster is centred within the CRT face. I think the adjustments required are available in the installation menu. You should use the raster shift option to ensure the rasters appear in the centre of each of the CRT faces. Pay particular attention to east / west placement. you will see the raster easily if you drop the contrast to zero and turn up the brightness until you can see the trapezoidal shape of the raster.

Once you are happy with the raster position on all three CRT's put the lenses back on. One of the menu options (installation mode I think) will now display a cross on the green CRT and then alternately a cross on the red and blue tubes. With the cross on the red tube mechanically adjust the angle of the red crt so that the vertical lines are superimposed exactly and tighten the top screws on the CRT assembly. Do not worry if the horizontal lines dont overlap exactly as they can be adjusted electronically. Now make the same adjustment on the blue tube.

You should now be able to continue with the normal setup and convergence procedures.

hope this helps

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Wow, impressed. Considering that is from memory and you do not even own one.

Thanks again Alan. I've just completed 90 minutes of adjustments following your previous post and fixed the problem of the raster being incorrectly positioned on the red tube. All now spot on and whilst not having the benefit of your later post when I did it ended up doing it exactly as you state apart from not taking the lenses off. rasters had been previously centred and it was only the red that was out.

All fixed now. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.