Which screw - projector ceiling mount?

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the title, which screw should i use the secure my jvc projector into the ceiling joists.

I was expecting the mount to come with the fixing but seems not.

Do you just screw directly into the wood or is it better to add some form of fixing first and if so which?

I agree I would use 60mm screws, if they are wider than a 4.0 I’d pilot for 30mm with a 2mm drill

Try to get a couple of 2" wood screws into the joist at a minimum, worse case use some of these if you have to go into the ceiling plasterboard - https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...0RsfFBWpK5QSKXAKCwxoCtWgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I would personably be worried hanging a PJ off ceiling plasterboard and would always find something solid to secure it to. I may be a little OTT but things move over time and unless it’s a new house or you know it very well you never know if the plasterboard is as secure as you think. My first PJ was a very light Benq and to be fair my dad did that and it was absolutely fine. The Benq however was ~2kg rather than the JVC being 15kg.

As a precaution against the ceiling mount or the screws connecting my new Optoma UHD51A projector to the mount failing, I am thinking of attaching a cable or chain to the ceiling and to the projector. I am wondering if I could use a Kensington Lock cable to do that but I am not sure if the hole for the lock is in the chassis or just in the plastic cover, does anyone know ? If it is only into the plastic as a theft deterrent then that would easily break if it did happen to come loose but if it is into the metal chassis it should be OK.

That’s an interesting idea, I’ve tested Kensington locks on laptops and desktops and they really are just deterrents and not that hard to pull out, the laptop and/or t piece of the wire easily gave way. Having said that there’s nothing stopping you putting any other security loop around the leg of the bracket that attaches to the PJ as there’s no way that could come off. Not sure where you’d put the other end, but I imagine some nice solid fixing into a joist. To be fair I’d always ensure I have the mount fixed 110% well anyway.

Thanks for replying, it should be secure as I have bought what looks to be a decent mount and some big hexagon headed coach bolts to screw it into the joist but as I do not want any chance at all of it coming away and hitting me on my head, or smashing a £1500 projector, I thought a belt and braces approach was a good way to go.

It is a lot bigger and heavier than my old Optoma HD600X which it has replaced :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom