1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PhilA, Jan 31, 2001.

1. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newcomer to HC and having more or less sorted out which projector to buy (Seleco HT200), can anyone give me some advice on the most suitable screen (makes and models). I've heard all sorts of names bandied about like Da-Lite, Stewart, Draper, Owl, Vu-Tec etc. etc.

Thinking of a 90" diagonal 16:9. There is a fairly narrow viewing angle. The room has light coloured walls but otherwise I can black out the room.

Looking to spend about £1,200.

Is it worthwhile pushing the boat out and paying double the price for tab tensioning or is it not really necessary?

Does anyone know any good overseas dealers who can supply to the UK at discouned prices?
    I've scoured the internet but not really come up with much.

Phil

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Phil,
    Its me again. 2 tips;
    1) Don't buy the screen until you have the projector. With the best will in the world you will only know what size screen to get once the projector is in place and you have measured the actual projected image. Unless you do some careful measuring (I used a special software program for Sony projectors which was superb) you could end up with a 10 foot screen and a 5 foot projected image. I hung up a paper tablecloth and it worked well until I got the screen.

2) I imported my screen from AV-Science in the US at a total cost of £540 against a UK price of £1300. My screen is a 106" (or 108" I can't remember) Da-Lite Hi-Power Da-Snap. The frame screws together and the screen is held on by snaps. Took me all of 10 minutes to assemble and 5 minutes to screw it to the wall (2 screws and 2 picture frame brackets from B&Q).

Have a look at the AV forum at www.AVSforum.com and checkout details of screens, more specifically what type of scrren the 200HT works best with and, at the top of the page you will see the links for the AV-Science shop itself. Email them with your needs. I must say though taht the service I got from AV-Science was crap but the goods eventually arrived in good order and for the amount saved it was worth the hassle though.
    Regards,
    Paul

Again

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Just to add.....don't go by what you see in there online store, their product list is huge, just email them for a quote and they'll get back to you.

If you are looking for an electric screen then tab-tensioned is the way to go other wise the screen will warp or move with the slightest breeze. However, if you can go for a fixed screen (like me), its miles cheaper and won't break-down!
    Paul

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    PaulB's advice is relatively sound, except that not all non-tab tensioned screens curl and flap about in the wind!!!

Some materials are stretchy and need tab tensioning to stay flat, others are thin and need tab tensioning to stay flat, still others are thick and almost rigid and hang VERY flat every time, without the need for ttensioning. It depends on the material and manufacturer.

I'd agree that fixed frame is always best.

Hope I don't upset anyone but if you're going to get quotes from AVscience then please let me provide one as well!

Gordon

P.S. I'v already helped one reader of this forum sort out his problems with his imported electric Stewart Screen from AVS.

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

5. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I personally went for a cheap manual pull down 16-9 80" Draper screen because I'm planning to move the setup into it's own room in the future. Cost was about £350 I think.
    If I was to do it again I would definitely try and arrange my room so that I can have a fixed screen. Failing that I would probably spend the extra for a Stewart.
    In my case the surface has a few vertical ripples and when the image pans horizontally it "lifts" over them, you stop watching the film and start watching the screen :)

6. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the advice to get the projector installed before the screen sound ?
    I thought it was best to get the screen installed first so you could then position the projector precisely in relation to it.
    If you have the right information, you should be able to calculate the exact size of screen given the make and model of projector and planned location of each.
    For Barcos, there's the excellent LENS program downloadable from their site. Other manufacturers should be able to provide the same information.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    We tend to recommend putting up the screen first, then putting up the projector. Basically because the screen usually ends up bang in the middle of the room and it's the bit everyone looks at so folk want it to look good.

The relative position of projector to screen is very important. The throw distance of the lens's doesn't always tell the full story though. Especially with CRT's and scalers. Some scalers will output smaller size images when cranked up to high resolution outputs. This means that the size of the image has to be adjusted on the projector and often it isn't possible to get it big enough to get back to the size of the lower resolution signal. So, if you went by the manufacturers specs you'd have too small a picture.

There are also projectors that will use a smaller section of the tube face when fed a high res signal as well, I believe. Same problem.

Best bet is to try it in situ, confirm roughly where it's all going to go, then do it.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

8. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    HC Dude,
    Yep, if you have access to the manufacturer's throw distance/picture size software then there will be no problem with the minimum/maximum screen size and distance projector needs to be etc. Its when you don't have the software that the problems start (and therefore my recommendation not to buy the screen until you know what size the actual image will be).

The Seleco SIM2 site posted incorrect lens distance/image size ratios initially which confused everyone!
    Paul

9. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for your advice and for pointing me in the right direction.

Phil

10. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0