1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which screen?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rubicon, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Completely new to this board. Need your advice please:
    We wish to replace a 33" 4:3 TV-set with a plasma or LCD screen. The normal TV occupies too much floor space in our living room!
    The main purpose will be for watching TV channels programming from either analogue cable or mainly from Force 1189 digital sat-receiver (RGB, S-video and composit PAL signals are available). Ocassionaly a DVD may be played on this new screen. It will not be a part of home cinema system, which we have in another dedicated room. I am quite picky with the picture quality and allergic to digital artefacts. A main reason that so far I have not found any 100Hz TV to be completely acceptable.

1) Based on the sources like digital sat-receiver, which resolution is preferable for optimum picture quality, with least scalling artefacts? 852 x 480 or 1024 x 768 pixels?

2) All the LCD based screens I have seen so far had not a very good picture quality, as I can see pixelling and the dark areas have poor resolution. Is that true of all LCD screens?

I am looking for 37" or 42" size, what is your recommendation?

I would be grateful if you will share your experience with me.

Martin
    Oslo, Norway