1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which screen PW6 OR 42PD3000??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by danbassy, Jan 19, 2004.

1. danbassy

danbassy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the good and bad points with these screens? What would you choose?

2. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently in the process of chosing a Plasma myself. The two models you have just mentioned seem on this forum to be the two favorites with supporters of both, so you won't buy a bad set with either of these two.
    I am favoring the Hitachi at the moment because.
    1.It's cheaper
    2.It's high res
    3.It comes with a stand, tuner & speakers.
    4.I have seen it up and running and it is a superb picture.

I would say the Hitachi is more suited to the person who wants to substitute their CRT for a bigger sexier TV, where as the Panny is a bit more geared towards the enthusiast mainy for watching DVD's on their £1000 Maclaren player, progressive of course.

Take my advise you can go round and round in circles trying to decide, as everyone has different opinions, you will never get the definative anwser. You have to chose on your buget and viewing for yourself.:smashin:

3. danbassy

danbassy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the cheapest price you have seen the Hitachi at?

4. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if I should be telling you this until after I've ordered mine, in case they all sell out, but Empire Direct are doing them for £2,499 plus £100 delivery. It's the best I've seen and delt with this company before and I rate them.
    P.S you better not buy the last one though.

Just out of interest did you ever consider the Philips 9965?

5. danbassy

danbassy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same price as currys!

6. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    There's a discount code posted somewhere on this forum which takes the Curry's price down to £2404 delivered...

7. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I bought the Hitachi 42PD3000 just before Christmas, and am happy with the picture and it is a lot easier to set up with the media box supplied, but I have a lip-sync problem while viewing through my Freeview set top box (Getting on my nerves now). Has anyone else had this problem? and if so HOW did you fix it?

8. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I bought the Hitachi 42PD3000 just before Christmas, and am happy with the picture and it is a lot easier to set up with the media box supplied, but I have a lip-sync problem while viewing through my Freeview set top box (Getting on my nerves now). Has anyone else had this problem? and if so HOW did you fix it?

9. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other people have mentioned lip sync problems with most brands of plasma screen. You can buy expensive AV kit with a time delay option for the audio if it's really bugging you. But I don't think this is a plasma problem, it's just more noticeable with large plasma screens because it's they're much bigger, you can actually SEE the lips moving.

There are plenty of old threads on the forum about this topic.

10. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the deed has been done.
    I have ordered the Hitachi 42PD3000 today from Currys for £2404. I hope I have made the right decision, I have agonised over this purchase for weeks, not wishing to make a £2000 mistake.
    I was in Currys again today viewing all the sets. I must admit if money was no object I probably would have gone for the Panasonic TH37PA20, but the cheapest I could get it for was £2900 including stand and delivery, a significant amount more than the discounted Hitachi, which has a bigger screen, higher res and a stand.
    I have read in the Currys conditions though that products can be sent back for a full refund within 14 days of purchase.
    Has anybody tried this?
    It would be nice, if you wasn't satisfied to take it back and go for something else.

11. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have just ordered one of these also and one of the reasons was the currys T's&C's.
    It states that when you order you are going into a binding contract, refering to the T&C's and i cannot see any small print in there about plasma's or any reference to any other parts of the T&C's, which you have to ask for.....so yes i would say, if you are not happy in the first 14 days, then you can send it back and there is nothing they can do.
    I went in Currys today, but they did not have the Hitachi there...they had a Samsung and a Deawoo which looked total crap and then there was the pioneer 434 at the end........it looked brill considering it was on display.
    I hope the hitachi is not to far behind......i also looked close at all the screens and could not see any dead pixels, so if i get evern 1 dead one on mine i will send it back...why put up with a screen that looks worse than they have on display.
    I also noticed in the T&C's that they will give you a replacement if you get any probs in the 12 month warrenty...again no small print to get out of it.
    Also noticed in the hitachi user quide, under garrentee, nothing about dead pixels and the amount aloud before replacement...so i cannot see how they could refuse to change it if you get between 1-4.

12. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been cutting out a cardboard template to see how big the screen will look in my front room. It looks enormous!!
    I hope what everyone was saying about the srinking effect is true or wifey ain't going to be to pleased.
    The 37" Panasonic pa20 isn't that much smaller physically, but all that extra screen on the 42" does make a big difference in the overall presence department.
    P.S I don't know what everyone is raving about the Pioneer 434 for. I've now seen this working at a couple of shops and it doesn't do it for me at all. The picture looks soft and dull. I would have the Hitachi over it any day. (good job really looking at the price!)

13. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I purchased a 42PD3000 from John Lewis in Nov for £2999 inc delivery but as you may know it came with a five year guarantee which is well worth it as any plasma that JL sell that comes with a tuner box is classed as a Plasma Tv and therefore falls under the category of TV and hence a five year guarantee is given by JL ( please correct me if i'm wrong !)

And i must say it is superb......no problems to report at all....have linked it through with a 2803 and 2900 with about 2.5k's worth of KEF and no lipsync probs ( so far ! ).

But i must tell you......sit down now..... i managed to get for a mate a Panny 6 with tuner box, stand and tuner box card ( Ex Display ) from Comet for the price of .....£2k....!!!

Unit was used for approx 241 hours and it is superb.....a bit fiddly to use in comparison to the Hitachi but in my opinion my Hitachi seems to be a bit more 'clearer' in the PQ dept.

14. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes my findings exactly. The Hitachi does have a sharper picture, but there is no denying the gorgeous blacks tne Panny can display.
    It's a very subjective thing, in some scenes the Panny definately looks richer, more deep and natural, then on another scene the Panny lacks detail with dull whites compared to the Hitachi.
    I bet either one viewed in isolation would look superb. Thats the trouble with to much choice.

15. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I went from a 32" CRT to a 42" RPTV and it looked BIG....looked brilliant when playing movies...but now, haveing had it for just over a year, i could not go any smaller.
    I would of liked to get a 50" plasma, but they are deff out my price range at mo......i was looking at the 50" RPTV's and the 46" RP LCD TV's as i like the pic quality that these things produce....could not decide between RP or Plasma and i was starting to get a headache....so one night i had a few to many beers and ended up ordering the Plasma.....just hope i will be happy.
    Evern the wife who said, just before i brought the RPTV " I dont care what we have....i would be happy with a portable", commented on how she did not want a smaller set now.......i'm slowly bringing her round to the HC way of thinking....:D

16. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to admit I'm getting itchy feet. I was in Currys again!! today and was comparing the Hitachi pd3000 with the Panasonic pa20.
    I got to admit the Panny has got it on PQ.
    The panny is just so much richer and deep. I was fiddling with the Hitachi for ages tring to make it better than the Panny but couldn't get it, it always looked more washed out.
    Also I noticed that the Hitachi had a lot of fizzing around graphics i.e the credits of a film, where as the Panny didn't, it was just very smooth.
    As a result I have now ordered the Panny TH37PA20 aswell. Both sets with take about a month to arrive, which gives me time to make a final decision and then I will cancel one.
    I so wanted the Hitachi to win, because it is such a bargain (£2400 the Hitachi v's £2765 the Panny without stand), but I think if I get the Hitachi I will always wish I had the Panny.

17. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Ive had my 42pd3000 for 6 months now and still find it to have a very good picture comapired to the newer screens coming out recently. Some people have reported buzzing noise problems but ive not come across any such problems.

The only points that take the shine off the whole package but NOT the picture / sound(standard speakers are very good for day to day watching)

1/ The menu graphics can be slow

2/ The centre speaker mode (which is supposed to allow you to link you AV amps centre pre outs to the media box and use the panel speaker as ur centres) it useless!

3/ The embedded picture setting are unusable (far to bright!) but there is a personnel picture setting mode.

Other than these minor points i would recommend the Hitachi to anyone who doesnt consider these points a problem.

By for now

Ken