1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which screen?? help I am a beginner!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by evo360, Jun 28, 2005.

1. evo360

evo360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased an NEC VT460 projector with a brightness value of 1300 and a contrast value of 400:1 . I have just taken delivery of it and decided to paint one of my walls white. I can view a reasonable picture in the dark but the problem is that the blacks are milky and I am loosing detail in dark areas. The picture is almost unwatchable with the slightest of light in the room. Is this because the projector isnt up to the job or is it because I dont have a screen? or both? any advice would be greatfully received.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Both I'm afraid. 400:1 contrast ratio is poor by modern standards and projectors with those figures will typically deliver black as grey.

The brightness figures of 1300 lumens is pretty bright, and bright projectors can sometimes benefit from a screen that doesn't reflect too much ambient light.
    Many people use screens that actually absorb some of the light from the projector in an attempt to drop the black level to acceptable levels.

I myself have used a Stewart Grayhawk screen which has a gain of about 0.9.....i.e. about a 10% reduction in overall brightness, to great effect.

However, the subject of projectors and screens (and perhaps filters too) can get more in depth than you might imagine. If you're just starting out you'll find plenty of reading on here.

Good luck! :)

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    As previously mentioned the contrast ratio would suggest you will struggle to get a decent picture quality. It is fairly bright though, I'd try painting one part of the wall a light grey and project onto that - see if it improves things. You will need near black-out conditions though to get a decent pic...PJ :)

4. patco

patco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you also should add black borders at the limits of the image. If you don't feel like painting a black frame on your wall, use provisionally adhesive black velour rolls.
    Anyway, at some stage you will need a screen and a more recent projector.If you purchase a projector with a 1:2000 constrast ratio (on/off), you can use an acoustically transparent screen and place the centre loudspeaker where it should be: behind the screen, right at the centre.
    Good luck anyway.