• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which screen for this Dell ?

Yorkshirelion

Hi all,

Looking at getting a Dell Studio 17 laptop with a 17" screen not sure on what screen to get to go with it though;

By default it comes with this one;

17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ CCFL (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™

However I would like to change for one of the following but I am unsure what to do, here are the other available options;

17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ WLED (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™
17.0" Widescreen WUXGA+ CCFL (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™

I know that the WLED screen is supposed to be thinner and much brighter than the CCFL display. Other than that there is the CCFL with 1920x1200 screen resolution.

Not sure which one to go for, has anyone here got a 17" screen with 1920x1200 resolution ?

Not sure if it will be better to have the higher screen resolution or the brighter better WLED.

Will 1920x1200 make the display really tiny on a 17" screen ?

The WLED is £50 more expensive than the default screen and the 1920x1200 CCFL screen is £60 more.

Not sure which way to go

philreid

Hey.

I just ordered a Studio 17 with the following spec:

Studio 1737 : Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz,1066MHz,3MB)
Display : 17in Widescreen WUXGA with Truelife - CCFL
LCD Back Cover : Topo Pattern Blue U Trim
Memory : 4096MB (2x2048) 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel
Hard Drive : 500GB Serial ATA (5.400RPM) Dual Hard Drive (2x 250GB)
Optical Drive : Blu-ray Disc (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM) Drive including SW
Battery : Primary 6 cell 56W/HR LI-ION
Graphics : 256 MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650
Keyboard : Internal UK English Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
Operating System : English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium including Media
4Yr In-Home Warranty Support, including evenings and Saturdays

I went for the highest resolution display since I'm a software developer and I also do some image editing. I'll post a quick review of the screen when the laptop arrives.

One of the reasons for my choice was that we received a screen upgrade for our Dell work laptops by default and it's a LOT better than the lower res panels. However, this was on an older machine so we'll see how it goes this time.

RobM

Distinguished Member
I don't see the point in getting a 17" screen with the same resolution as you find on 14-15" laptops, i.e. 1440x900. If you don't need a high resolution you could save yourself money and buy a smaller screen laptop.

If you need the screen real-estate, then resolution is what counts, not the physical size, as that determines how much you can fit on the screen.

So I'd go for the 1920x1200 option every day of the week, or a smaller laptop.

Broxi1979

I don't see the point in getting a 17" screen with the same resolution as you find on 14-15" laptops, i.e. 1440x900. If you don't need a high resolution you could save yourself money and buy a smaller screen laptop.

If you need the screen real-estate, then resolution is what counts, not the physical size, as that determines how much you can fit on the screen.

My main reason for choosing the 17" option was that the unit comes with a full size Numpad, which is very important to me for what it will be used for but I do see your point.

I think the higher resolution screen was about £150 more though.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Just a thought, but you can buy USB Numpad's that you could use with a smaller laptop and probably be just as portable (if not more so) than carrying a 17" laptop around.

planetse

Totally 100% agree.

Anything less than 1920x1200 is silly on a 17” screen :suicide: Like said if you cannot afford this maybe a smaller laptop is the way to go. You will regret skimping on the screen just for the sake of full size keyboard.

Probably best you look at some before you purchase. Then you will see why we are both saying this.

Last edited:

Yorkshirelion

I currently have a 17" Dell inspiron and that has the 1440x900 screen on there, it doesn't cause me a problem. The reason i want 17" is that it is a desktop replacement. I have a Samsung NC-10 that i use for portability, the Dell wont be going anywhere.

I think i will try and somehow take a look at a 1920x1200 laptop screen as i imagine it would look really tiny, it made things look small on my 24" Benq monitor so I can only imagine things are even smaller on 17" screen.

Need to see for myself

RobM

Distinguished Member
PC World usually have laptops on display that will have this resolution. Not Dell's, but other 17" laptops with that resolution to give you an idea of whether you can get on with it or not.

Yorkshirelion

Sorted this out now, went for the WLED screen, not bothered about the higher resolution I would prefer to have the better quality of WLED.

I went a took a look at a 17" 1920 x 1200 screens and it is just to small for me, If the screen was 24" or something similar i would have gone for the higher resolution, For my usage requirements this makes alot more sense.

The only problem now is waiting till the 12th of Feb for delivery.

asprint

Sorted this out now, went for the WLED screen, not bothered about the higher resolution I would prefer to have the better quality of WLED.

I went a took a look at a 17" 1920 x 1200 screens and it is just to small for me, If the screen was 24" or something similar i would have gone for the higher resolution, For my usage requirements this makes alot more sense.

Were there not any on the outlet site? I seem to remenber seeing a lot with the LED screens?

Broxi1979

Thanks, that gives some comfort. I was thinking I had made a huge mistake but I also had the same thought as you, that 1920 x 1200 is too high a res for a 17" screen.

My desktop has much higher res available than I run it at but it would be too small at the high res.

Mics49

I have been reading this with some interest and to some extend I agree with you. I am sitting at my M1530 with a WUXGA screen and when I first got it I thought "Oh my! ...". But then I found various ways of getting around the small default settings for fonts and micro appearance of applications and websites. E.g. I have set the DPI to custom 150% and it's just fine, plus AVF can be set to large font, IE the same. Items that would only become bigger when actually down-sizing the resolution are the smilies e.g. Blu-ray playback is awesome on this screen, that's for sure. Conclusion: Each to their own. :thumbsup: ;)

planetse

Reading this now on a WUXGA (1920x1200) 17” screen on my M1730 set on 1920x1200. (After just spending 2hrs on my NC10... Boy this looks big now lol)

Like you say everyone has their preferences, High rez is mine. ( I still can get on with the NC10, small screen but a very good one.)

Last edited:

Yorkshirelion

Reading this now on a WUXGA (1920x1200) 17” screen on my M1730 set on 1920x1200. (After just spending 2hrs on my NC10... Boy this looks big now lol)

Like you say everyone has their preferences, High rez is mine. ( I still can get on with the NC10, small screen but a very good one.)

I know the feeling with the NC-10, i have a white one and since i got it about 2 weeks ago it never leaves my side. However its funny like you say then when you go to a 17" screen, it looks huge :thumbsup:

asprint

Got my Studio 17 on Friday, with the upgraded screen. Very, very glad I paid the extra cash.

Wrote a quick review on my blog

In your 'blog' you refer to: "The first thing I did was turn UAC off, and delete all the crap which Dell preinstall on the machine".

What is the UAC that you have turned off and which Dell preinstalled 'crap' can you safley remove from the laptop?

What are the benefits of removing any of the above.

I have the same spec Studio 17, but with the std screen res.

keithface

Novice Member
I have almost the same spec but with the Intel Core 2 Duo P8100 instead.

My screen is amazing, only got it 3 weeks ago but loved it instantly. Instead of removing bloatware i reinstalled Vista completely and upgraded it to Vista x64 bit version which gave me an extra point on the windows experience ;).

philreid
what type of screen do you have, I have the LG one which reads as LGD0135 in the was wondering if you had a similar one or sharp, samsung etc.,?

i would recommend reformatting your dell and do a complete reinstall of the operating system whether 32 or 64 bit, then installing whatever programs, antivirus etc., you like from a clean slate.

k

planetse

In your 'blog' you refer to: "The first thing I did was turn UAC off, and delete all the crap which Dell preinstall on the machine".

What is the UAC that you have turned off and which Dell preinstalled 'crap' can you safley remove from the laptop?

What are the benefits of removing any of the above.

I have the same spec Studio 17, but with the std screen res.

From memory things you can safely remove (I reformat all my Dells and install fresh so as to get rid of all there bloat ware and the backup partition).

BT internet and Tiscaly internet if showing.
Dell eBay link, all the Google rubbish, Dell online safe, Dell support (unless you feel you will use it), Dell user guide.

McAfee free trial, and Windows Works if you intend using your own office program.

But I would down load all the latest drivers from Dell first and pop them on disc then.

Dell Drivers and Downloads

Put in the MediaDirect disc, boot and keep pressing F12 to get into boot up choice, choose CD ROM. Format choosing option one, take out disk and reboot the same but this time with Operating system. Let it load, stick on the new drivers (not the old ones from the driver disc that comes in the box), put the MediaDirect disc in again (with windows showing on your desk top IE running) this time it will load MediaDirect program for you.

Why put up with the way the manufacturers load your operating system and strangle your resources. It’s surprising how many folks reformat computers of any kind as soon as they get them.

Last edited:

philreid

I haven't reformatted mine, I just removed most of the things planetse mentioned. Don't have a copy of the 64 bit windows either :(

I'm not actually sure which panel my machine has, how do you find that out? When I went into the display properties it just showed up as a plug and play display.

The UAC (User Account Control) is what causes the irritating pop ups to appear every time you do something on your machine, its designed to stop malicious programs doing bad stuff to your PC without you knowing - but its horrible and I'd rather take the risk without it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom