Which Screen? Confused!!

Vinesh

Established Member
Reaction score
I have shortlisted the following screens:

(DVi Terminal board required for the Panni)

Panasonic TH-42PW6B

Panasonic TH-42PWD6 (whats the difference with the above)

Panasonic TH-42PHD6 (A lot of money)

Hitachi PD5000

Pioneer 433MXE

Which screen would you reccomend?

The screen will be used for Sky+ and DVD (Pioneer 668)

I orignally thought the Panni TH-42PW6B was the best screen, but after reading a few threads on this forum has made me confused. I want the best picture available, without spending a fortune! (Pioneer 434 is out the question)

Any advice welcome.

Or a screen for £3k - give or take a little. The screen should accept both pal and ntsc prog scan

And works with the Pioneer 668

Other items to be connected to the screen:

Sky+
DVD player
Gamecube
PS2
Marantz sr5300

Hi,

I would recommend the Pioneer 433MXE - especially at the £2900 it is available for at the moment. You may want to wait for the replacement 434MXE though, which is due out in April. Hopefully this will have a DVI-HDCP input which you would need if you intend to use HDMI out of your 668. Third party DVI-HDCP compatible cards are avilable for the 433MXE from www.auroramultimedia.com You may also want to consider the NEC 42XM2/S which is dvi-HDCP compatible and has a total of 7 inputs. Hope this helps.

Steve

Where have you seen the Pioneer for £2900?

Any ideas on the price for the 434mxe?

Cheers

How about the Fujitsu range??

Hi,

See here for the 433MXE at that price:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/plasma.htm

Ivojo are one of the recommended suppliers of the members on here. Sorry, I can't find any details or pricing on the 434MXE yet - maybe something will be released next month. Regarding Fujitsu, they have their fans around here, but they don't do a 768 resolution plasma smaller than 50". Hope this helps.

Steve

Nexnix got a great deal right now for the 433MXE at £2936 incl VAT which include wallmount and speakers.

Must be the best deal right now out there.

The Fujitsu P42HHS30 has a pretty high res (1024*1024) and it can display over a billion colours.

ALIS???

Yes the 1024x1024 panels are ALiS panels.
Ordinary 42" panels use 853x480 pixels.

Because the 1024X1024 monitor seems closer in native pixel resolution to the 1080I signal than an 853X480 monitor it stands to reason that it would show the 1080i signal at a higher resolution - closer to the 1024 than the 853. However, the 1024X1024 monitor uses an interlace scan to see every other line while the 853X480 monitor uses progressive scanning. Using a comparison at a 60hz refresh rate, what you will actually see vertically is 512 lines on the 1024X1024 monitor compared with 480 vertical lines on the 853X480 monitor. Not much difference.

While the 1024X1024 (XGA resolution) plasma monitor still appears to have the edge in resolution we have to remember that the pixels are rectangles rather than square. This enables the monitor to produce the images for the 16:9 widescreen monitor. This means that the 1024 X1024 monitor has to do more interpolating on the horizontally stretched pixel, which can cause some softening. There is just a lot of severe scaling to be done there. The 853X480 monitor, having square pixels, will have an easier time with the horizontal conversion.

The 1024X1024 monitor can end up softening the image more due to the more severe horizontal filtering. It can depend upon the scalar/converter of the monitor as to which views the best.

I'm not sure one should be discouraged from considering the new ALiS glasses. Though it's true that it delivers the picture in two 512-lines fields, it does actually have a vertical resolution of 1080 individual lines, therefore showing more picture "data" over time when compared to a 480 screen.

As for scaling, with HDTV at 1920x1080i (sometimes 1440x1080i) or 1280x720p clearly both ALiS and non-ALiS screens do have to scale/interpolate horizontally to produce a picture, so the difference might not be that great. Had the non-ALiS screens the proper native horizontal resolution (e.g. 1280) then it would definitely be better - but they don't (852 horiz. resol.).

Mind you, at least the ALiS screens do NOT have to scale vertically (they remove 28 lines at top & bottom of pic. to get down to 1024 from 1080) - while the EDTV (480 vert. resol) screens still have to (downscaling - yuck! :p ).

Bottom line: one has to go and judge by their own eyes what's best for them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom