Which screen aspect ratio 16:9 4:3?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PaulMathers, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulMathers

PaulMathers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to a recent thread on purchasing a screen.
    Most viewing material these days on DVD is widescreen so it would make sense to go 16:9 but I also plan to watch sky broadcasts and XBox/Playstation games on the screen - so should I go for 4:3 so I can switch between sizes on the CRT or still go for a 16:9?

Paul Mathers

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As the quality of most 4x3 material is below the par of widescreen my advice is to go for a 16x9 screen and reduce the picture size to fit within this screen.

BUT by using a samller suarface area of the crt you run the risk of prematurely wearing the phospor. The Circuits will allow you to apply the same amount of power on to this reduced screen size.

Check that the CRT Projector you buy will allow multiple aspect ratios.

It is also worth turning down the contrast when playing games to prevent powerbars etc getting burnt in.

If you do want the full 4x3 screen then look at screens that offer vairiable masking.

3. PaulMathers

PaulMathers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice - I know this is probably a stupod question but just what is the advantage of a 16:9 screen over 4:3.

My crt is a seleco ht400 and I think it supports a few different screen sizes so will that be ok? I guess most material these days is widescreen even video games but there are lots of different widescreen sized are they all suitable for viewing on a 16:9 screen?

Someone at Sevenoaks, Manchester is getting back to me on screen prices - he recommended a tension sprung electric drop down screen but warned me they can be expensive!

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Playing 16:9 stuff on a 4:3 screen leaves big bits of unused screen area above and below the image. Some find this distracting.

Using a 16:9 screen means less unused screen area with 16:9 films. It creates a more cinema-like viewing experience.

Your 400 will cope with either 4:3 or 16:9 ratio screens.

Regards

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oh wide screen / full screen what a decision.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.