1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHICH SCREEN 42pe50 /42pw8???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sivy28, Oct 31, 2005.

1. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi after spending time going over over posts in this forum Ive decided to go for a sd screen which can still show hd material which some posts suggest that theres not much in it anyway compared to normal viewing distance on a hd screen? any comments on this would be appreciated...

just cannot decide on whether to go for the panel or tv?
    i have
    sanzio netdvd
    yam amp dsp ax750 se
    InFocus ScreenPlay 4805
    building htpc ? maybe
    pioneer dv 575a

from some of the posts it seems the panels offer better picture ??/ is this true and would the tv tide me over connection wise with the equipment ive got? hope someone can offer some advise, oh just one other thing seem to see alot of posts where people connect there plasma from a componant source to vga input using comp/vga converter any reason for this ...sorry for the newbie questions

regards
    Sivy

2. steve_peak

steve_peak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought a 42PWD8 and its amazing! i cannot fault it. If you don't need the in built tuner/speakers then the PE50 is a bit pointless in my opinion.

I was under the impression that the PE50 cannot display HD content easily as it does not have, and cannot take an HDMI terminal..i may be wrong but i don't think so! The PWD8 will take the HDMI board when you're ready for it.

If all you need is a screen, i would go with (and did!) the panel, and the pwd8 is fantastic!

The VGA port on the pwd8 is the best input on the screen and on the pwd8 the vga port accepts component signals, thus eliminating the need to buy a component terminal board

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    both very good screens but the PW8 probably offers more in terms of flexibility with a wide choice of input boards. The reason, or one of them, for going component to VGA is to save the cost of a component board as you just require a component to VGA cable.....this also gives excellent results.

4. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input I think from posts thta the pe50 accepts hd over componant? has anyone seen this compared to hd on a hd panel?

not sure whether to go with the convienece (wife friendley pe50) but if there is a definate diffence in pq then would opt 4 the pw8

regards
    sivy

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    HD over component is fine unless you are worried about protected material (HDCP) which can only be handled by a digital input. At this point I don't think anybody really how much and what type of Sky Hd output will be HDCP. I think you can get HDCP strippers that may still permit component use but it's not something that I know much about yet.

6. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh thanks for that mate have you fed yours a hd signal and hows it compare?

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    no i haven't yet

8. sivy28

sivy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh sorry forgot to ask , is there a reason that the panel is a better picture than the tv ? is the Circuitry different or somthing?/