1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Scarts/leads should I use for Sky/DVD to my PannyPE50?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DJT75, Sep 13, 2005.

1. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,201
    Just a couple of quick questions to all you cable experts.

I am suffering with a few picture/sound issues on my new Panasonic PE50 - I only have very cheap scarts connecting my Sky box & DVD player at the mo...

I therefore need to invest in some decent scarts- I need 3 metres!

What's the minimum I should be paying for a decent 3m scart?
    What make/model do you suggest?
    & where's the cheapest place to buy them?

many thanks

2. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    DJ - we meet again to talk about our new toys!

I've just bought an IXOS scart off ebay - £30 for a 5m flat cabled one and it is infinitely better than the £3.99 job I got from argos - I was having a couple of problems with flickering solid colours which have now dissapeared.

I've also invested in a QED component cable - again from ebay for £35 and the picture coming out of my DVD player is stunning. This replaced a £10 component cable from a little electronics shop down the road...

If your DVD can take it, use component and preferably progressive scan and you'll see a vast improvement over scart leads. You'll need to run a 2 plug phono cable to the screen from the dvd player if you want to get sound out of the plasma tho (unless you have an amp).

3. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,201
    Ah ha - Mr Chris!

IXOS or QED look about as good as i'll get without blowing too much cash.. I'd rather avoid a flat cabled one purely for cosmetic reasons (easier to hide normal scarts). I'll defo have a think about component/phono cables for the DVD - the picture on that was awful but not sure what's on the back of my cheapy DVD player?!? Don't watch many DVDs - purely for one offs

cheers for now..
    DJT

4. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    You can get scart to component cables, but have no idea of their quality. Some people think that S-video is better than Scart, but I have never run anything via S-Vid so couldn't comment.

Finally got my wall mount too! They forgot to deliver it and I was far too excited about the tv to even think about it!

5. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,201
    I went for a couple of these in the end: (seemed v.good value with free delivery)

http://www.electricshop.com/invt/4000ixo106703a

Glad to hear your wallmount turned up OK, I was watching mine on the floor for a couple of days too - actually preferred it down there!