1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which SCART-TO-YUV converter?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Barend, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have a CPC converter for my Topfield sat receiver which has RGB SCART out.
    But to tell you the truth, I never noticed any spectacular improvement over composite.
    It looks a bit fuzzy on my Panny Plasma with low color saturation but I do see some noise improvement.
    Because I don't want to spend another heap of money to try one more, can somebody please enlighten me?
    My DVD 2900 pic is very crisp and razor sharp, would like to improve my TV picture.
    Running both thru my Denon 3805, tried direct for both sources, no difference.
    Got a decent cable to the Panny.
    Barend

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why? That's what everybody says... But can it improve on a pic?
    Barend

4. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Are there any other converters that do the same job but without the pricetag?

5. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Syncblaster RGB2C
    I have one of these on order and there cheaper RGB->Component box. Not sure if they are much good but I needed to be able to convert both ways (RGB2C) and JS only have a one way box at twice the price.

I have the JS RGB->SVid and it's a nice bit of kit but ideally I needed a RGB->Component box that had RGB passthru like that one, I've talked to them about it and they recon it's not possible with there current tech without degrading the picture. :(

Chances are a lot of broadcasts will be lower bitrates and ntsc sourced so will look less sharp then a good DVD anyway. :thumbsdow

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Please keep us posted on the results.
    Agree broadcasts can be as good as dvd can be, but only in theory. But with a converter the results should at least be better than composite, right?
    Barend

7. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping they'll be fairly close to RGB as I'm having to convert RGB (Digital Cable) -> Component to go into my new amp so that I can feed Component to the PJ and then Component to a Component->RGB converter to go back into the TV. :(

I'll try to post something next weekend when I've got all the bits wired up. :eek:

8. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ailean

Let us know what you think once it arrives.

9. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they arrived today and I've had a little play. I put the RGB->Component and Component->RGB units back to back with a 2m Component lead between my JS RGB->SVid V2 bypass and my 32" Sony WSTV and was very impressed. Couldn't notice any obvious picture issues while sitting 3' from the screen. Bit too fiddely to swap back and forth for an A-B especially with the changing PQ of broadcast stuff.

Watched Ultimate Rides (lots of rollercoster action :) ) and the begining of Rising Sun via the RGB->Component adapter on the PJ and it's definatly an improvement on my previous connection (RGB->JS, SVid->SVHS, SVid->Amp & Svid->PJ ;) ).

I'd need to do some A-B stuff via the DVD to spot any issues but that's not what I wanted them for anyway. At least when my new amp arrives this week I'll be able to switch most stuff via Component now and still have RGB into the TV!

No idea how the RGB->Component side compares to the JS box but this is okay for me with digital broadcast stuff and the Component->RGB one is just so handy for TV hook ups.

10. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Ailean,

BTW- where did you order this unit?
    Do you think it will be usable for RGB (scart) > YUV ?

What I noted in the past was that using good cables to the plasma does improve on the fuzziness...I don't mean expensive hi-end stuff but just well screened RG59C/U.

Barend

11. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh! Sorry only just realised there's a differance between YUV and YPbPr. The boxes I've got do YPbPr. The JS site seems to think they are the same for there box but appently YUV is an older format which can result in distorted colour on a YPbPr input. :confused:

Anyway you may find some more detailed info at Keene Electronics, they seem to know there stuff when it comes to video processing.

I'd guess if your DVD output (YPbPr) works on the Plasma input then a YPbPr output from one of these boxes should work too.

APTUS1 RGB TO COMPONENT CONVERTOR
    GBP79.99 (inc VAT)

This is the cheaper one way box. Have you tried using RGB from your source to a RGB equiped TV? Did that look better then composite? If not no converter is going to help.