which scart switchbox?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ramlin, Jan 15, 2004.

1. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, like a few people on this forum I have a TV with only 2 scart connections, one being rgb and the other being s-video. My digibox is connected to the rgb scart connection of my tv and my dvd player is connected to the other (s-video) scart input.
    I am therefore thinking of buying a scart switchbox so as to enable the one scart rgb input on my TV to be shared between the digibox and the dvd player. I have found two from argos, one being automatic (it's called "Acoustic Research Electronic SCART Block") and can be found at http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...ID=10294381&sto

reference number 534/2639

and the other (called "SCART Video Unit"), which is manual, can be found at http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...productId=60608

and has a reference number 534/2361

What, if any, have been people's experience of these products, which one would you recommend and, more importantly, do they work?

Many thanks for your assistance.
    Cliff

2. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this looks like the best ive seen. I pick mine up tomorow will let you no what its like.

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=GADG&title=142733

* 4 input to 1 output with electronic switching 4 Analog/ Digital AV inputs including: RGB SCART, S-Video, Phono (RCA) separates and Digital Optical Master output comprising of RGB SCART, S-video, Optical and Phono (RCA) separates Signal Regulator Technology automatically compensates for potential signal loss Input Selector Switch with independent channel LED indicators Remote Controller unit with operational distance of 10 metres Solid Metal Casing for enhanced electrical interference screening Stylish design to blend in with your existing AV equipment Included in this pack: AC Adapter, SCART to SCART (1), S-video to S-Video (1) and Phono to Phono (1) cable. Suitable for: DVD and VCR Players, Satellite Receivers, Camcorders, PlayStation, Xbox, GameCube etc,

3. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this one works great. i use it to share the single RGB SCART on my TV with my DVD player and digibox. an absolute bargain.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Are the Argos ones definately RGB?

5. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. The Argos one (£9.95 or something) is definitely RGB.

6. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,870
  8. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses - I am a bit overwhelmed.
    Do all the scart switch boxes output and input into rgb?
    I only need the scart switchbox for two and maximum of three devices (the digibox, the dvd player and maybe something else I will buy in the future (it won't be a game box)).

The TV I have is 25 inches, so given the variety of scart switch that have been suggested, I am minded to go for something that works and is cheap and cheerful and that outputs and inputs in rgb (ie the argos 9.95 squid) unless anyone has had bad experience with it (has anyone?) or if there is a noticeable difference in quality of the picture on the TV between that scart switch box and another recomended in the forum.

BTW, nwgarratt you have one hell a great set up there! But I couldn't find at pkay.com the scart switch box yoy use.

Thanks and keep posting your comments.
    Clifford

9. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Try here for the play one.

Just a thought, can you not daisy chain your dvd player through you sky digibox?

I have a dvd player, sky+ and dvd recorder using one rgb scart on the tv.

One the other hand if your gonna spend a tenner on a switch box why not pay a 'little' extra and get a nice new w/s tv;)

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,870
    I daisy chained my RGB devices until recently. I then started getting colour problems when playing DVD's. It was down to a scart socket on the digibox playing up.

I had DVD - DVD - Digibox - DVD Recorder - TV (RGB).

Also, it meant thart only one device can be on at a time otherwise they would interfere with each other.

I know can have 3 DVD's playing at the same time and then switch between them on a remote. They all in RGB as well :D

I also use the optical inputs to switch digital audio from the DVD Recorder and the Sony DVD Player.

11. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Yeh, thats why I'm still toying with the idea of a switch box, but my first attemp involving a Quintro+ was far from ideal. Hence I am back to daisy chaining at the mo.

12. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Israel and the digibox that I have is from a company called Advanced Broadcasting Ltd - I am assuming for the worst and that it can't daisy chain an rgb signal through the digibox. However, being English, I go back to England alot, so I thought I'd "invest" in a scart switchbox. Given some postings of the other forums I thought the argos tenner scart switchbox would suffice, however you have all given me alot of "food for thought". Any one had problems with the argos switch box or thinks I definately should "invest" in one costing 30 squid or more?
    thanks
    Clifford

13. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think the argos one works a treat and will probably suit fine as long as you don't mind it being manual rather than remote operated.

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,870
    One of the reasons why I didn't go for the 'Argos' one, was I didn't want the scart leads to stick out of the top.

One of the things I like about the Joytech one is it looks like a bit of my AV equipment.

15. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I presume the joytech one does widescreen switching?

Also do you know if the RGB is in & out? One of the probs I had with the Quintro+ was that all the rgb was one way, kinda pointless with a dvd recorder.

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,870
    The Joytech has 4 RGB in and 1 RGB out.

17. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went out and brought the <£10 argos switcher yesterday, it seems like there is only 1 rgb (which is av3), the other 2 are seem to be standard rgb?

did i get a duff one or is this a new model?

18. gobie2920

gobie2920

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Argos switcher only has 1 RGB out scart and unfortunately it is not described on the box. I am now having a difficult time to swap my DVD player and Xbox each time I want to play any of them.