1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Scart lead?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MLAM, Jan 19, 2003.

1. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm a complete novice to scart leads, I've read on here that a decent scart can make a big difference to pic compared to a cheapo one,

Can anyone recommend me a good scart lead?

thanks

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

3. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that... guess I hit the wrong button...

There is much myth around about connection leads of all kinds and there are a number of dealers around who will sell you leads for around the price of a small car!

Now that's not to say at the highest level of equipment, people with very acute eyesight and hearing can't experience any difference.

But for most of us with domestic equipment, there's absolutely no point in paying a fortune for leads - you won't experience any improvement in performance.

Generally, the leads which come from reputable manufacturers - Sony, Panasonic etc with the kit are fine.

I would avoid market stalls and the like and for a SCART lead, the most I would pay is around £20.

As someone pointed out - the sockets they are feeding are of only medium quality and I can see no point in putting a £120 gold plated lead into a 50p socket on the TV!

What's important is that all pins are connected and properly shielded from each other and fit the socket properly...

No worries...

4. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for reply Jim, interesting comments there.

Is a IXOS 126-AV Scart a good one? as its only bout £25 at Empire Direct at ythe moment and I'm planning to get one, or is there more better ones out there?

5. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I bought a few of the Ixos 141 cables from www.hificables.co.uk

Great cables...really improved the picture. Fantastic site as well, very friendly and reliable :)

6. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have a look also at the Philex Thor scart's, kust purchased a 3m one from grandata for £25 very well constructed and has improved picture on my sony tv

7. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at www.cpc.co.uk - they do quite a lot of cables a lot cheaper than you pay for the priveledge of buying from a dealer.

AV0437466 is the tech+link range of scarts, they seem to have a very good reputation, and they're pretty cheap.

regards
    Paul

8. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm interested in either the IXOS 126AV or the 141AV, can anyone tell me the difference between them other than the 141 being a flat cable.

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If anyone has ever opened a piece of redundant or dead equipmet, you cant fail to notice that the connections to say speaker points, scarts etc are usually thin cheap wire. This is true of all budget and most midrange stuff. Unless you go to insane expenditure levels to put anything more than a basic connector in is a complete waste of money. It is comical when you see huge speaker wires plugged into the backs of speakers and amps when you know what the hidden cabling is likely to be like.

EG I used the audio visual cable which came with my DVD player as an unofficial component connection for 18 months, even though not the correct recommended 75ohm cabling. I recently needed this cable for something else so bought a "proper" £20 component cable. I can see absolutely no difference on my 36" tv!

10. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Maybe you didn't spend enough. 'Proper' as you call it may mean more than 20 quid.

I was sceptical of spending more than a few pounds but when I did the change was obvious. On a cheap or poor quality TV then there may well be little or no difference.

As for the different cables. I don't know if there is going to be much between the 126 and the 141 apart from the 141 being flat. I think you'll be pleased which ever you buy.

11. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Ken - it's what you are connecting to and from that should influence what you spend...

For most of us, that's going to be fairly modest expenditure in the leads and cable department!

12. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for starting this thread, had been meaning to ask the same question myself...

I assume, seeing as nobody has mentioned it, that you can use any scart lead for standard or RGB capable scart sockets.

I had previously thought that RGB sockets would require a suitable RGB quality scart.

I am buying a 36" CRT sony so just want a scart that will give me the best picture for this set.

Noticed in What HiFi they are selling some video cables at £210 per metre...absolutely frickin crazy!!!, who pays this sort of money?

Considering my TV will cost about £1800 I am probably willing to pay £30 to £40 quid tops.

Bam

13. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While it is true that mid-to-low end TV's won't have the details response of higher priced models, and therefore won't reap the same benefits from high-quality cables, it is absolutley untrue that you won't see a difference with a good quality scart over a standard one.

The notion that the socket on the back of the average TV negates the need for a high-quality connection is fundamentaly wrong. The idea behind upgrading the interconnecting cables is to provide a purer transport for the signal, that will introduce the least amount of interference, and have a higher signal-to-noise ratio. No matter how 'cheap' or 'basic' the componentry inside the actual TV, a decent AV cable will give a NOTICEABLE improvement to the picture. Typically one would notice a 'quieter' (read less noisy) picture, sharper outlines, greater details and richer colours. In a good quality Scart, the sound would be crisper, more detailed and more 'musical'.

If you care about these issues, and even if you paid less than £500 for your TV, you should ALWAYS, I repeat, ALWAYS use a good quality scart. The one that comes in the box, even a Sony or Panasonic box, does not fit the bill. A freebie is just that - you don't have to pay over the odds for a decent cable, but do spend some money in order to give your telly something good to work with.

Bam, Ixos 126 will do fine, but, the 138 will be better still. Empire Direct do them for £29 - a bargain!

Cheers 2 All

Moory

14. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I paid 40 quid for a Monster video 2 scart to scart and it is the best 40 quid I have ever spent........previously had a gold Philips lead that cost £20 and it fell to bits within a fortnight the difference the Monster lead has made to the clarity of the picture is outstanding (32fx66):D

15. MLAM

MLAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So whats better about the IXOS 138 to the 126 guys?

enlighten me

16. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MLAM, the 138 is MUCH cleaner, the picture shows more detail (yes, you can actually see the finer detail, esp. on DVD) - it uses silver plated copper - and the silver makes a difference. Colours are better contained (unless your TV can't handle fine detail), and images are sharper without noise or harsh edges.

The 138 is usually sold for £50 and over (for a 1.5m length) retail, so a 3m version for £29 is a snip! What are you asking for? It's within your spending limit, GO FOR IT!!

17. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I personally go for the 10% rule.

Set your budget limit for all your connects to 10% of the value of your system.

Works for me. :)

18. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    IXOS 141 flat cable only £25 pounds at ASK Direct no wthat is a bargain and it gets a great review as well in what hi-fi

19. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    I am trying to decide between

Thor and IXOS 141 flat cable

Just cant make my mind up

20. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I'd agree that it does make a dfference and you'd need to have poor eyesight or a badly set up picture not to notice!
    I upgraded to a b-tech ribbonscart from beyonf hifi and the difference was plain to see, better detail, less noise and better colours!

21. Mongrel

Mongrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the Thor scarts, £25-£30 dependant on how much you shop around. Richer sounds do them but hifijunkies.co.uk do seem to stock everything with next day delivery included in the quoted prices!:)

22. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Can I get some clarification please.

Looking at the scart leads available at several sites there seems to be to basic types available: one which supplies "all pins" and one which is "rgb only".

Am I right in thinking that the all pins will supply both sound and video and the rgb only will only supply video? As I have a seperate amp and speakers I probably only need video only.

However if there is no difference in performance I might go for the all pins version just in case there is ever a problem with my amp.

Or have I got the difference completely wrong?

23. shaunashott

shaunashott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and if i did get the ixos 138. how would that look on a rear pro tv?

sony kp44px2u

24. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The QED AV4110 RGB only sqart I ordered from Empire on Friday arrived this morning...2 hours after I took delivery of my new Sony KV-32LS60....:D
    The picture on DVD via this RGB lead is fantastic, a vast improvement from my previous scart...oh and the TV rox too :D