Which SCART cable

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I have the TV.. I hope to have a new DVD player soon.. I guess I should think about getting a decent SCART cable.

Are there any good value cables, or is it best to go with something like a QED?

I see that RicherSounds have some Cambridge and Pro-Wire versionas available for about £20, are these worth considering?

If I go for the QED version, should I go for fully wired or just the RGB? They appear to be the same price and by just opting for the RGB limits your ability to go composite/s-video.

Any info appreciated

John, have a look at Lektropacks, their home cinema range is excellent - fully wired, oxygen free, gold etc etc.

<a href="http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/acatalog/Lektropacks_Online_Home_Cinema_Cables_26.html" target="_blank">Lektropacks Home Cinema Range</a>

Cheers<br />OG

Hmmm.. Thanks.. £16 for a 1.5m cable is far more palatable than over £50 for a QED.

I still can't be convinced that a cable makes that much difference.. But i do want to put a decent(ish) cable in when I finally upgrade my DVD.

Anyone got anything good (or bad) to say about the Lektropacks cables?

Get the QED RGB only SQART. My old IXOS broke, i decided to get the QED RGB only. To my surprise the picture looked Sharper and the colour more defined. First i had a cheap gold plated one, then the IXOS and now the QED. Each improved the picture each time.

However, i sometimes hear people say they notice no difference. Perhaps my house has a lot of electrical noise and the better Scart filters it out! Who knows!

It did cost me £40 though! ouch!

John, my DVD and TV are connected by Component but I'm using the Lektropacks scarts for the NTL Digital (via RGB) and results are excellent, noticeable over a standard lead. Also use them for connecting the video and video sender!

As a matter of interest, we have 2 of their 11 metre scarts connecting a PC TVout card to 2 28" TV screens and there is no noticeable loss of quality despite the length and a scart adapter at the PC end!

Cheers<br />OG

I have my DVD connected to TV with a QED RGB only SQART lead. This showed a marked improvement on my previous letropacks cable.

It does not pass sound, so do be aware of that, it is wired for RGB video only.

I have the QED RGB Squart, the Ixos and a 20ish metre cable, and I can't really see any differences.<br />The QED RGB cable is a bit of a rip off. I paid more for it than the standard Squart, yet when I opened it up it's just the standard Squart with a few cables snipped (including the audio ones). Also, the plugs aren't as snug a fit as they might be in the sockets on my digibox, TV etc, and the cable is so heavy and inflexible it tends to pull them out of their sockets!<br />I'm quite cynical about the cable thing generally. After all, I bet if you opened up your DVD you'd find the scart socket is just a bit of bent baked bean tin with cheapo bell wire connecting it to the PCB, and the quality of signal passing through the chain can only be as strong as the weakest link.

Keiron,

Thats always been my thoughts.

On top of what you said.. behind the SCART sockets are 'tracks' where the signal runs across the PCB. The componants which provide the signal, are just soldered using normal lead based solder onto the tracks.

Its not screened or anything.. Its just tinned legs of a chip, stuck to strips of copper on a PCB. That has to be the weekest links

I think that the argument is that inside the box, the signal only travels a few inches.. Its the cable which carries the signal many meters and is subject to loss. It also inducts a lost of noise and interference.

But, like you, I am also sceptical. Being a hypocrite, I still want to upgrade my cables.. But I really don't want to spend 40 quid on a QED.

I might just stick with the Lektropacks one, or even the flat BTECH (with people on other forums have raved about), which you can get from CPC for 8 quid!

Whatever you buy, buy fully wired, you never know what you are going to do next, and you get sound too when you don´t want to bother turning on the AV, or if it breaks (god forbides).

I have a Chord connecting an Arcam DV88 to a Loewe Vitros, configured as component video.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom