which scaler?

the klang

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for looking, just a quick one,
my screen is 768x1280 and like most screens blows the picture up to fill the screen to whatever the resolution of the dvd is (ntsc or pal). i am about to buy a new dvd player that plays pal and ntsc in progresive scan. some of the players im looking at upscale to 720p. so my question is this, will the picture quality be any better being upscaled in the dvd player or shall i just buy a good dvd player and let the screen blow it up? the player i am thinking about is a pioneer 868avi. my screen dosn't have dvi or hdmi.
any help would be great :) :) :)

What display have you got?

The 868 only scales via HDMI as far as I know, at least mine doesn't scale analog. Moreover, scaling to 720 is not necessarily going to benefit you much because I'd have thought your display is going to re-scale to 1280x768.

Given that then I'm not sure an 868 is worth the expense, the 686 in Pioneer's product line-up would probably be just as good I'd have thought.

I think your best bet would be to look for a player with good component quality and get an external scaler/deinterlacer like a Lumagen DVI (which does have component output I believe), this will allow you to scale to the native display size .. always assuming the display accepts native input, not all do.

ok,the screen i have is a PDP 502 MXE pioneer that has component input which im using now via a 737 pioneer(ntsc pro).i want to get a pal progressive player to better the picture on my pal dvds.i have seen a dvi-i to mini d-sub converter which may help me .what do ya think?

Sheesh, that's some beast .. I'm not sure about that, I think I'll defer to Joe or Gordon :), however the external scaler approach does seem the best idea to me.

just looked up the vision pro,£2000 plus is a bit much for me.i think a good pal progresive player with a DVI-I or component output will have to do.
do any of you know anything about the neuneo dvd player,they claim that you can set the res output in the player to the res of the screen?

hello mate!just been on your companys site and read up on the scaler,noticed for the BNC analog outputs its an extra £80 plus vat.is that what i would need to get an analog signal to my 502 mxe?also noticed that both the dvi outputs are HDCP complient(if thats how you spell it)which means they are DVI-D and not DVI-I which is what i need to convert to mini d-sub (rgb) via a converter lead?or am i talking utter rubbish!

INputs are DVI-D...OUTPUT is DVI-I. You can get a £10 adapter plug to turn DVI socket to HD15 SOCKET. Should point out that in line with any other HDCP compliant processor if you feed it a copy protected HDMI/DVI signal to the DVI inputs it will disable the analogue outputs. You can get devices that remove the copyprotection before they get to scaler to avoid this....

Gordon

i understand,but i would only be playing dvds from a dvd player through the scaler and in to the screen.do dvd discs have copyright protection in that way?i thought if the player is multi region there would not be a problem.having said that,what kind of material falls in line with HDCP ?be patient im learning :)

Most DVD's are copyprotected. DVD's have macrovision copyprotectioin added to their analogue outputs and HDCP to their digital outputs. If you use analogue out to a scaler you are laughing....if you want to try DVI/HDMI out to a scaler you need to take more care as there is an extreme danger you will be pictureless.

Gordon

Gordon you are a star,thanks for taking the time to answer all my beginers questions :thumbsup: i am now off to bed.tommorow i will post a thred asking about devices that might disable HDCP,if we are aloud to speak of such things.thanks again!!

the klang you might also like to consider this: http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishdplus.html £960 ish so a few ££ more than the lumagen DVi but has a couple of extras like Audio delay which can compensate for the extra time the video signal takes wizzing around the processor and stopping lip sync problems which can be a very annoying issue after spending serious money......If cash is tight then its sibling http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishd.html£760 which is less capable of Digital processing (has digital passthrough) may be better still has audio delay feature... but can scale the HDCP digital sources...As your display cant accept HDCP sources this may be the better option (and can be upgraded to HD+ spec if you upgrade display).

I would keep the 737 and spend the money on a scaler, the vison DVI would do a great job, especially for the money!
I still think that the 737 has a great interlaced image that rivals most new machines and the sound from it is excellent.

Does you amp have a master audio delay though?
You will need to get the lip sync right once you add a scaler.

hello hornygragon(great name), just spent best part of the day looking at the ISCAN HD PLUS and ISCAN HD,to be honest the ISCAN HD PLUS is really what im looking for what with the lip sync thing,but like a lot of people to spend the best part of a grand on another (what dose it do again)bit of kit , the issue will have to go through parliment(the wife).
thanks for the info and to all that took the time to answer :thumbsup:
to gizlaroc,i dont know if my PIONEER VSX 909 RDS has a master delay at this time,its in the loft waiting for me to rebuild the downstairs of my house.i will have a look when it comes down from the loft.thanks again :thumbsup:

klang when you the room nearing readiness get a demo of the HD+ might be able to get one onsite from a helpful dealer same goes for any hi end kit, scalers etc really need an AT home demo or at least some backup from dealer if you are having set-up issues...Also consider ISF calibartion as the icing on your systems cake

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
INputs are DVI-D...OUTPUT is DVI-I. You can get a £10 adapter plug to turn DVI socket to HD15 SOCKET.
Gordon

Gordon , I have a Lumagen HDP w/SDI on order from a vendor hereabouts.

I have ordered the following cable DVID18PPHDMI to connect to the Pioneer 505XDE HDMI input from Lektropacks.
http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=84

I'm guessing this is the wrong cable as it says DVI-D to HDMI

Do you know a source for DVD-I to HDMI cables?

Scrowe if you want to send digital signal too Pio media box the DVI-D (digital) to HDMI is what you need
DVi-I is integrated analogue and digital, if you wanted to connect to 15pin D-sub then you would need DVi-A to HD15 pin (analouge) cable.DVi-I works with both DVi-A and DVi-D

Ah, now I understand.

Many Thanks

Brilliant,

I'd best get some brain-food in when I go shopping later, as I suspect hours of fun playing.

Hello The Klang

Keeping Audio and Video 'in sync' once you start to process the signals via separate boxes can be achieved in three ways - in all of them you usually add Delay to the Audio signal before it goes through the Multi Channel processing in your AV Receiver.

Your options are as follows:

01. On-board the Video processor - as you've seen with the DVDO iScanHD and iScanHD+

02. Via a stand alone box - a Felston DD340 is a good choice with an SRP of £139.95. See http://www.felston.com

03. On-board a suitably equipped AV Receiver - many £400+ AV Receivers now have this facility.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom